1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakids will craft guns instead of swords.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Tiy posted something intressting in the live chat today:

[20:39] <@Tiy> Novakids are going to craft guns
    [20:39] <@Tiy> instead of swords

After being asked if this would create a unfair advantage for the novakids he posted the following:

[20:39] <@Tiy> theyre supposed to be balanced
    [20:40] <@Tiy> and we're working on balancing guns
    [20:40] <@Tiy> guns aren't just straight up better than swords
    [20:40] <@Tiy> they do less damage
    [20:40] <@Tiy> much less
    [20:40] <@Tiy> and given the new walking back mechanic
    [20:40] <@Tiy> monsters get to you much faster

Discuss!

2. I think all races should be able to craft guns, and Novakids should be allowed to craft melee weapons. No craft-able melee weapons is a pretty big reason (IMO) to not make a Novakid.

3. TheWalrusNet

TheWalrusNet Phantasmal Quasar

Personally i'd rather they were better than swords, i mean guns ARE better than swords... they're guns.

Cipherstar, Hazmat, Madzai and 6 others like this.
  4. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Well that sucks. Novakids can use melee weapons. Look at big knives, whips, etc. The current system is hardly perfect, but it still works. Changing it will require further balancing and might end up making a number of guns useless. I guess the Peglaci mod creator will have to get creative with his tiered guns. With these changes, I'm not so sure I'll be using guns anyway. Why bother if they're ranged and weak? They are called the great equalizer for a reason.

5. Garatgh Deloi

Hmm. I think that personaly i would like it if they made you have to carry ammo and the reload being slow instead of the gun itself being weak.

Hazmat and Yzzey like this.
  6. As I recall, the Ammo rebuild mod integration fiasco kinda soured them on the idea of ammunition.

7. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

No. Given how crappy the aiming system is, ammo would just punish the user and slow reloads would just force people into not using them. We're not talking muskets or hand-canons (actual name, old old old single-hand firearms), but revolvers, semi-automatic pistols, assault rifles, etc. Those are meant to be reloaded nice and fast because otherwise they would suck in a combat scenario. Revolvers don't have to load one bullet at a time, that's what speed-loaders are for.

8. Garatgh Deloi

Thats the point, i would find it prefearable to guns having low damage. (They are going to be penalized somehow since the devs seems set in stone on having valid melee).

9. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

Ammo Overhaul actually never used ammunition, it was a mod that added all kinds of craftable guns that has names you could take seriously and were actually useful. Cluster grenade launchers, drill rocket launchers (great for mining), crossbows that you could keep crafting with the tiers for viable hunting so you wouldn't run low on meat (great for Floran recipes) and even fun stuff, like an assault rifle that shoots knives.

edit for quoting to avoid double post:

Given how small the screens are and how quickly you move, melee is going to be valid anyway. Guns, aside from most sawed-off shotguns and snub-nosed pistols are more for using at ranges of 50 feet or more. The sniper rifles would be more for stuff a kilometer or more away, not the edge of the screen. So unless high resolutions permit viewing much further, then melee will always be more useful. Plus, rapid fire weapons might be weak, but they can hit far more often. There are a lot of ways this can go wrong, and only a few that can go right, and since we don't have much of any data to go on, I can't go into detail about what's good/bad about it, and that drives me nuts.

Hazmat likes this.
  10. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

The purist in me thinks that it's a little strange to add gameplay differences/consequences from choices made in character select. (want guns? Pick Novakid!)

However, nowhere in the post does he say that Novakid cannot craft melee weapons, nor does he say that other races cannot craft guns. There is an incredibly strong implication (because he uses the word "swords" instead of "melee weapons" he can legalistically say that they can craft hammers and stuff).

So, on a theoretical level, I'm not sure I agree with what he's implied here, but I can easily deal with it if the game is enjoyable, no matter which race I play as.

I also wonder if there will be blueprints to craft guns that can be bought from vendors, so that other races get the same potential, but do not inherently start off with it.

11. Garatgh Deloi

Considering that any race can get all the blueprints for current weapons by buying them off merchants (or they will be once they add cites/merchants for all the races), i think its safe to assume that other races will be able to craft novakid weapons (after buying the blueprints).

12. FunAsylum

FunAsylum Subatomic Cosmonaut

... Makes sense I suppose... Other than the "Guns are weaker than swords".

13. Tomato Master

Tomato Master Noob Simulator 2014

Let all races be able to craft guns! It fits with the wild west theme, but at least let us craft pistols or shotguns or something!

Hazmat likes this.
  14. FunAsylum

So... Pistols and shotguns are in the same league? It would be like a ninja Vs. the Hulk...

15. Tomato Master

I said 'pistols or shotguns or something'. This doesn't exactly mean they are in the same league. If you were able to craft shotguns, they would be very weak.

16. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...The new walking back mechanic makes it worse to use melee weapons than guns.

Hazmat likes this.
  17. Tomato Master

That's why all races should be able to craft guns! Novakids are getting an unfair advantage in the fighting area.

Hazmat likes this.
  18. FunAsylum

... Guns are underpowered as hell... I can use a bow to kill in two hits, but it takes like 10 with a gun.

Xronim and Hazmat like this.
  19. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

yah but in games makeing ranged better then melee is always a poor devement flaw

thats why most games have melee weapons 1 hit people

i agree with most people who think they are underpowered right now
    useing anything but a sniper or a rocketlancher is useless

20. Zuvaii

Zuvaii Heliosphere

What's disturbing is that a mechanic like this might be so reviled that CF might have to undo it or people will just do everything they can to game the system to make it similar to how it is now. If I can't walk backwards while swinging a melee weapon, then I won't see much of a reason to use them over guns, which will limit my choices in what I can play as. Plus, all races should craft firearms, but the main craftable firearm would be a hunting weapon for each race. Pistol/Hunting Rifle for Novakids, Crossbow for Glitch, some kind of needlegun for Florans, etc.