1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Sledra

Sledra Slotherator 2.0

One of the problems with being able to show neutrality is the fact that any in universe source who could tell up about them has probably dealt with them negatively because that seems to be the way they act. For a truly neutral/positive point of view you'd have to go for the fringe elements, the underground zine telling the world about 'THE REAL TRUTH'. Which in itself would be pretty cool, maybe some radical group could take over the Starbound Chronicle for an issue.

2. Rovole

Rovole Void-Bound Voyager

There's a difference between antagonism and evil... Not everyone who acts dangerously is automatically bad. This is a fallacy that has been proliferated and ingrained throughout a popular culture that too easily believes what they are told, and on top of that, too easily believes that what they know is right.

This philosophy of "kill them because they oppose you, and thats fine because they are evil." is something that I regard with distaste, is it both harms storytelling and is designed to be mentally unchallenging. Furthermore, the point of this thread is to discuss possibilities, not reiterate what established lore states, at least not so much as to be used to discount theories. Only someone gripped by unimagination sticks to canon and canon only, especially canon so patchy as what the writers in Chucklefish have cooked up.

The Agarans are alien, more than any other encountered aliens species; their language isn't even fully understood, and this helps, not harms, their moral ambiguity. They're not just gray, their color is more off the grayscale than on it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    SirKaldar and Lecic like this.
  3. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'm having trouble following this argument. The main topic appears to be the color gr(e/a)y. o_O
    Someone explain.
    Is it that Rovole hopes the Agarans turn out to be neutral? Because the color spectrum doesn't appear to be particularly relevant, no matter how metaphorically detailed your analysis is. :rofl:

The Squid likes this.
  4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Still killing every single one of those fungus xenos

5. Rovole

what I meant to say is, and I'm sorry if this got lost in translation, is that trying to make Agarans fit into conventional thoughts of morality is like trying to fit orange in a range of shades between black and white. Its not doable, and if you try to force it you end up losing alot of meaning. At least, thats how agarans are in my mind Its how I'm hoping Agaran development will lean towards.

Yet another Child of Man, born into a world of atrocity and weaned on ignorance. When the center of your universe is a corpse in a fancy chair in the most secure geriatric ward in the milky way, I can see how your views would become a little skewed.

6. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...Most people here abandoned that philosophy back in the 70's. Pages, that is.

7. Type1Ninja

lelz.

Rovole likes this.
  8. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yes, however, not everyone has abandoned that philosophy, as we can see from the post 2 above yours.

MysticMalevolence and Rovole like this.
  9. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  10. Rovole

SirKaldar and Zebe like this.
  11. Silverwings

Silverwings Void-Bound Voyager

That right there. That is why I think of the Agarans as the monsters from "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers"...

Basically the Body snatchers in question were alien lifeforms stemming from very similar Pods. As people slept the pods seemed to wake extending leafy tentacles connecting to sleeping creatures while forming a replica of said creature within the pod. Once fully developed the "Pod Person" is identical to the person the pod connected to but the initial victims body became little more that a dried up wad of flesh and bone. The "Pod People" look normal but has a distinct lack of emotion and a hive mind-like mentality. The "Pod People" meet in secret with each other, cover up for each other, and otherwise attempting to spread themselves secretly until only they remain. I've also noticed that on some Agaran planets something that resembles vines extending from pods containing Apex. The planet in question seemed to have once been populated with apex settlements/remote research stations but it was all overgrown. The vines that extend from the Apex Pod went deep into the planet and I'm almost sure that they all led to Agaran settlements. Though I don't have any screenshots of It now I'll be sure to get some when next I find it.

Burn all the pods and NEVER sleep near one.

Darklight likes this.
  12. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

View attachment 101088

• Random quotes.
    [/quote]
    You missed one.
    lulz.png

Vines are about 20 to 30 blocks long.
    And Agaran Settlements aren't underground.

SirKaldar, Zebe, Lecic and 1 other person like this.
  13. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

This thread is pretty much dying right now, yeah. Maybe I'll do that later. I have to figure out a place to dump that monster of a post to. Or maybe I'll chop it to parts, improve, and add to wiki.

14. Type1Ninja

It's in my sig. It won't ever die. I can always just re-post the link; it's always right next to me. :D
    To enable signatures, go to personal settings or something and look for it. It shouldn't take too much digging; it's in there somewhere.

You could always just make a brand new thread. We could use this for actual discussion, and that as a repository and discussion of whether to add some theory/fact to the list (Just make sure to link here).

And... Dying? :cry:
    Maybe it won't... Demanrisu is probably writing something up, and the newsletter hasn't come out yet, so we can look forward to that.
    But... In the meantime... :rip: :confused:

15. Spacebeard the Pirate

Spacebeard the Pirate Void-Bound Voyager

Know what I love about mushrooms? They are so versatile!

Mushrooms don't just make a good pizza topper, pan-fried mushrooms go great on top of a juicy steak, sauteed mushrooms are perfect for stir-fry. Stuffed mushrooms are a great party snack! Don't just focus on the pizza folks, explore, find new Agaran and "introduce" them to the finer points of cooking.

16. InsanityPixelated

InsanityPixelated Existential Complex

How dare he say that?
    It's a medical condition...

17. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

das racist

18. Spacebeard the Pirate

Spacebeard the Pirate Void-Bound Voyager

Hmmmm, really? I considered it more speciest and genocidal.

19. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

(Agarans do not belong on your pizza, steak or any other food. It's illegal to eat majic mushrooms!)

20. InsanityPixelated

InsanityPixelated Existential Complex

[​IMG]
    (This took me a lot longer than I expected)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    SirKaldar, beari78, demanrisu and 2 others like this.