1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound DLC

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by FoxDE, May 13, 2014.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Not true. saying something is a "complete edition" is a marketing term for the contents of the product are complete at the time of sale. Nowhere is it stated or implied that "complete" means everything from start to end of the game's development. That is YOUR interpretation, not the implication of the term.

2. This argument is going in circles. One thing we can all agree on is that at this point in the games development, DLC isn't something they should be thinking about.

TabeticClown likes this.
  3. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

The entire reason they release a "complete" edition is so that people know that if they buy that they won't have to pay out for anymore dlc, they are finished milking that particular game and are ready to move on.

4. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Yes it's a marketing word and it have nothing to do with the basegame being unfinished.

But yes, it's going in circles, let's leave it :).

5. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

It has everything to do with it being finished, they use it to let people know that they won't have to buy any more dlc because they are finished with the game. Because some people don't like to pay 60 dollars and then another 60 for dlc to have the complete game.

6. lazarus78

Exactly. So it is your misinterpritation of what a "complete" edition of something entails.

By definition, a completed game and a finished game are exactly the same thing. You can have a complete set of the game and all the DLCs, making a finished product, but each DLC/Expansion is itself finished and complete.

7. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Which is what my argument is about. That the basegame can still be finished without a "complete" edition.

Oh well, I should have worded it better!

8. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

Something that's finished doesn't need adding on to.

9. A finished and complete threat is both complete and finished based on how finished and/or complete the ideas that make up the finished and complete thread are. I've finished but not completed my argument as I am done introducing new ideas or concepts. It is only complete when I physically stop typing and press the submit button. But if by pressing that button I'm expanding my argument to include this post, it isn't really finished or complete is it?

Akado likes this.
  10. SweFox

SweFox Guest

lol :).

11. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

When you have finished something you are said to have completed it, so no, you haven't finished nor completed your argument.

This is just semantics, finished and complete are entirely synomous, and there can't be a complete edition that has more than another complete edition of the same product. This chair sitting beside me that has no arm rails and no cushion is objectively less complete than the one I am sitting on that has those things.

12. Wait... you mean someone can have something designed the way they want it and while they may view it as a finished product, some people might not? MADNESS! A stool isn't a chair, but they can both be sat upon.

SweFox likes this.
  13. lazarus78

Yes, this is true, but there is still confusion going on. You can encapsulate something as being unfinished/incomplete based on the sum of its parts, but you can't say something is not a "complete edition" just because its add-ons are themselves, unfinished.

The movie, Avatar, was released as just a movie on DVD shortly after it left theaters. It was done to push something to the masses right away. This edition of the movie was itself complete. It was a complete edition, despite that it was planned to make another edition that included all the special extras. That edition was also a complete edition. The edition is is just the current state of the thing, and it can be complete despite a MORE complete edition being released later on.

You can call the final final, no more updates/expansions/anything versions of something a "complete edition", but you can also call the 1.0 version a complete edition as well. They are independent from one another.

14. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

So now you're saying that the less complete product in my analogy is still just as good? I think you misunderstood.

15. ThePenguinNich

ThePenguinNich Big Damn Hero

I read the title, and now I'm here saying please Kuex no.
    I could write a book on why DLC is bad, but I shall spare thee. I may have the wrong impression seeing as how I read absolutely nothing in this thread besides the title.

(But just for kicks I shall put a bit of rage into here (please read the following text in a raging penguin voice. If you don't know what that is, look it up). When I buy a game, I expect it to be complete. DLC aren't add-ons, they're things that should already be in the damn game to begin with. It's just an excuse to make more money. I've heard the argument that "it's used to keep a game hyped up and the players happy" but I would rather have my full game with free updates. Yes, free. I bought your game, I'm not paying any more for some stupid maps or whatever. )

Last edited: May 14, 2014
    CaptainRick and TabeticClown like this.
  16. lazarus78

You could always quote TotalBiscuit on the matter of DLCs. He basically sums it up.

ThePenguinNich likes this.
  17. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

Back to my original reasoning for not liking the idea of dlc. It means that more complete (I'll humor you and your semantic nonsense, hmph) version, will be released later that you will have to pay to have access to. Back in the days before patches and dlc games that were released were finished, they were what the developers had an image of. I think the idea of dlc has become a crutch and a hindrance for a lot of developers it allows them to play the game safe and maybe even take out a few planned ideas to add to dlc to milk their game a little bit more.

And of course there are some thing that are good dlc, but stuff like launch dlc and dlc "packs" Like the op suggested should be included in the game, without a doubt.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2014
  18. You're argument is based on the idea of a company making people pay more for things they should already have. I doubt it would be an issues with CF. (Mostly because I'm one of the super fanboy/girls that think CF can do no wrong... or because they haven't shown themselves to be greedy and in it for the cash, which ever you choose to beleive)

19. TabeticClown

TabeticClown Contact!

The idea of dlc in starbound is silly any way because the game is so modifiable.

20. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Not necessarily.
    There are people who refuse to use mods.

Akado likes this.