1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Avali Race Mod, The second thread!

Discussion in 'Races' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

That's pretty much what I already envisioned in terms of formal indications; armour markings/paints and accesories like the cloth shoulder sash, sort've thing you might expect in a society and combat system that evolved from hunting. And of course you have information indications such as gifted feathers.

(Makes me think maybe a mate might be more willing to gift feathers, such as a female with a set of bright coloured male feathers incorporated into her crest or accessories)

Intrebute and J_Mourne like this.
  2. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

Two thumbs up.

Now excuse me, I gotta do homework and boring stuff like that. :p

3. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I like that idea a lot. When I get around to designing villages for my Gallavoir, I'll be using my own spin on these ideas. :)

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Intriguing.

5. Davekazer

Davekazer Void-Bound Voyager

Ohhhhhhh that explains a lot. Makes sense in hindsight.

6. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

indeed. I myself have yet to find the Bread Recipe. but I have many others, on a goal to learn them all

7. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'm pretty sure there isn't a bread recipe since the game assumes all races start with bread from the outset. i have pondered giving them bread as a recipe, but no wheat seeds simpyl for completions sake - but yeah, wheat doesn't make any sense for the avali diet, being a water-based plant, and they're obligate carnivores from an ammonia based ecosystem :p)

8. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

So let me get this straight. Under the new system there will be three sorts of Avali encounter, the first two of which will now only ever show up on cold planets:

Avali Sub-biome
    Avali Village
    Avali Micro-encounter
    In addition, you're tweaking some files so that a planet can spawn predominantly Avali micro-encounters instead of sprinkling them about at random. This will cause warm planets to occasionally have Avali encounters, but more sparsely than a frozen planet containing Avali.

Sounds good, if I'm understanding that right. I'd worry a little about the structure generation rate balance: on one hand, there'll be fewer chances for Avali structures to generate, but on the other, we'll know where to look for them... will the chance for village generation be slightly elevated or left the same? I like my Avali encounters, they're one of the few places I feel like just chillin' with the NPCs.

(And then they get murdered by missle-launching hellbirds).

Specialized roles for NPCs sounds like a great idea as described. Will there be traders to match many of these roles (technician/weapon parts, logistics/seeds, researcher/stims)? Can we have spoony Avali bards as an NPC class? Will we need to regenerate our universes to update the villages?

Looking forward to see what we get here.
    This. This is such an awesome and cute idea. I approve entirely.

9. shinyarceus4

shinyarceus4 Pangalactic Porcupine

Now if only cold-tolerance could be implemented...

10. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Two, Camp and micro encounter. The sub-biome effectively sets the boundary of the village, while all the space within the biome will have structures generated from the camp spawning rules.

Unfortunately, it's not easy (or even possible?) to prioritise one sub biome over another. However, I'm likely to include things like vendors in both random encounter and settlement encounter types so your chances of meeting an avali who can sell you stuff si substantially higher than before, even if the odds of finding a primary settlement are low

"We'll see".

11. MrMadmanx2

MrMadmanx2 Cosmic Narwhal

I know. though I can see the Puri Loaf

12. Davekazer

Davekazer Void-Bound Voyager

Good point, you ARE the author after all. Lore continuity before gameplay I suppose. Not that I'm complaining.

13. Kn4ck3br0d37

Kn4ck3br0d37 Big Damn Hero

Good ideas about encounter generation. Ideas always flying around with you, huh?

Aww.. and here I wanted marching Avali wearing officer-hats with guilded insignias on the front.

Feather-gifting is a pretty neat idea considering you already have dreamcatchers and what not. Kind of creepy in a way if you think about the equivilent being you giving someone a tuft of your hair but it's somehow a lot more ok when it's feathers.

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Question for Ryuujin:

With this new system of generations, will there still be chances to find Avali microdungeons (like the treasure chest with bone blocks) on non-cold planets? I enjoyed running into random small Avali stuff on my travels.

15. awareqwx

awareqwx Cosmic Narwhal

Feathers are brighter and easier to keep track of than hair.

16. Kn4ck3br0d37

Kn4ck3br0d37 Big Damn Hero

They have, and it's wierd as hell (to me), especially when it's hair that doesn't come off the head.

Hmm.. is it considered "playful" to gift someone a feather from the skirt rather than the plumage?

J_Mourne, Intrebute and RyuujinZERO like this.
  17. Larynkir

Larynkir Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm so I guess no more jungle, plains or forrestbound avali anymore?

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I claim this forrest [sic] for Felis! :catface2:

19. Larynkir

Larynkir Void-Bound Voyager

D: but I was here first

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

You realize of course that this means war civilized discourse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.