1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Charlton says hello!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Charlton McVicar, Apr 18, 2014.

1. beari78

beari78 Guest

My counter claims cannot be proven, and no ones can. BETA.

2. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

In his defense, this is mostly because it's the default dialogue the Hylotl would say for any instance of that kind of decoration, since there's only 3 decorative head-on-a-pike objects used in the game, no matter how it's presented. Usually I avoid that kind of conjecture unless it's absolutely certain that what they say is 100% what it really means, which is usually hard to tell. In the context of having that kind of thing in a location that is clearly marked territory for Agarans, with the only Floran there imprisoned, it's really hard to substantiate the claim that Florans made it in the first place. It'd make more sense contextually if it was, say, in a Floran village or in at a Floran hut, which is typically what that line is for.

An example of this is the Crystal Labs dialouge: When one of the purple guards come to talk to you, they talk like Avians in an Avian tomb. This is unusual; the object types in that kind of dungeon are Apex, and if you unmask them, they are actually Apex guards. By your logic, since the guards are spouting Avian dialouge, it's clearly an Avian dungeon, despite the Glitch armor, Apex technology, and models used under the armor.

In other words, since the dialouge in the game isn't 100% complete, the deductions made by the word of mouth of characters, while straightforward, should be taken with a grain of salt because of how wonky they are at times, to the point where they can contradict.

Guthrie28 likes this.
  3. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

I would be willing to accept that if not for the fact that those objects were implemented long before the agarans were.

If it was a new unique version that just parsed to that dialogue, that'd be acceptable. But it's clearly taken from existing objects and there's little doubt in my mind that something that has its own unique dialogue references won't change.

And your reasoning can be used to also disprove your point as if dialogue for it can change, there's equal possibility for it to change to reference a completely different creature or to be called a plastic decoration.

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

An interesting point. Could the agarans be the oaken soldiers the florans fear? Mushroom stalks tend to resemble wood...

Tremendo Dude likes this.
  5. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

That's exactly the problem. It's very likely that because those objects have been around for so long, that it's slipped the mind of the devs that adjust it for that kind of plot inconsistency, much like many other things that haven't even been given a name yet that have been around for quite a while.
    This is true.

6. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

See, not very helpful of me, really, but heres one thing we could do.
    These Agarans are not very resistant to explosions, as your adventures with that *shudders* damned bandit Hiraki have shown.
    Why not just nuke them, and be done with it?
    I don't understand whats the point of not going full on exterminatus on them, if they're such a "menace".
    Capture a bunch of them for studies, and rid us of the rest! Simple!

But all of you refuse to do this.

Frankly, this leads me to be extremely suspicious of all this "Agaran menace" business. Something's not right here.

And I'll be damned if its not something bad thats going on here

Darklight likes this.
  7. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

Call me soft but I do not believe in systematic elemination of anything. As for the floran furniture, its not just the skulls. Dont forget the bioluminescent pods and the living wood crafted objects. These are floran in origin.

As for the pods, I asked some floran but could not get any anwser from them. All I get are cold stare and claim that they do not wish to discuss this at all. They clearly know something I have missed myself but I cannot seem to get any to talk... not like most floran talk to me much about anything nor do I wish to talk with most of them for all little they have to say. No I did not stab anything lately, get over it.

On your next expedition would you kindly notify me? I find your work very interesting and I would be most interested in talking with you in person.

The request also extend to Mr. McVicar. You seem to have a knack for being in the right place at the right time. I can also assure you I am perfectly apt to defend myself or others should the need arise.

Charlton McVicar likes this.
  8. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Systematic?
    You'd rather have this "menace" to kill us all, our generational children, plague our homes, rape our men, and believe themselves to be some sort of gods.
    Well?
    What would rather have us do?
    What? WOULD. YOU. HAVE.
    US.
    DO?

Stand around, do nothing?

9. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

They didn't seem to mind me kidnapping their dog. Perhaps they just love animals. Or else, following the-
    *realisation*
    Wait a second... Agarans are mushrooms. And usually, either dogs or pigs are used to dig up truffles. Which are mushrooms. Perhaps they keep the dogs to find wild mushrooms for their own use, like filling the pods with it. Otherwise, filleting animator's theory, they would put the dogs in the pod for organic material.

(I literally realized all this while typing the first half of this post.)

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  10. quantian

Even assuming a race had the means to exterminatus (we're not 40k people) these guys are literally everywhere. To nuke them, you'd need to nuke everyone.

Forgive me if I think that's... pretty stupid.

Owl_Stalker likes this.
  11. The Thing

The Thing Existential Complex

I might start by using that tranquiliser syringe on you and find a competent psychiatrist but thats another matter.
    Some people would have the floran eleminated completly, something I am, for obivious enough reasons, totaly agains. A race can change, it can evolve, physicaly, mentaly but mostly as a society, it can reform its ways. One should never see the eradication of anything as an act to be taken lightly for you might be hitting some unforseen connection in a greater web.

This however does not mean that I would let something menace me and remain idle. Unlike some people, I weight my response to treats accordingly.

beari78 likes this.
  12. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Ah, then you're one of those so called idealists.

But you are incapable of recognizing your threats then.
    I shall sit at the back, and let you find out for your own what I mean.
    Its my job to give stupid ideas. I forgive you, easily.

Well, I'm getting on Starbound and staging a full scale one-man-war on the Agaran race.

Darklight and Yzzey like this.
  13. quantian

More like most folks know that they don't have anywhere near the military might nor means to even put anything close to a dent into the floran race so they can only suggest.

14. Charlton McVicar

Charlton McVicar Investigative Reporter NPC

They're scared. As in, they see these Agaran objects... and they just stop thinking. They're too horrified by the objects to even consider thinking about them. They move onto other things.

I feel sort of sorry for them.

15. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Aha, then they aren't mindless at all, these Agarans. Smart, for they use fear.
    What their intentions are, I intend to divine through less than legal methods, although I do hope that doesn't go in your article.
    I shall provide a detailed summary of their internal structure and combat skills, tactics, and whatever else I can find shortly

16. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

To first understand a Agaran, you have to BE an Agaran. Become one with them. By that, I mean decapitate those poor bastards and wear their skulls like trophies to see how they view the world.

17. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Already doing.

I am also using a Warhammer 40k mod to make this more realisti- whoops, sorry small floran village, just Virus bombed your planet.

Yzzey likes this.
  18. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Had to be done. It was for the greater good.

19. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Considering that the avian population was basically enslaved by the Agarans, and was at a population ratio of 15 to 1 against them, it certainly was

Yzzey likes this.
  20. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Did you decontaminate the head before wearing it? You might be infected >>

Hawk Novablast likes this.