1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

MISSING DERRICK-need help finding certain creature

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yzzey, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd looked in the assets files for that back when I was doing the genetic experiments. Each critter is put together from head, chest, legs, and tail sections that are in their own folders. You can unpack the file and check them out to see how many different options there are for the tinyquadruped monster type.

I'd been thinking finding one of the right color would be harder, but both are pretty rare. Whih is fine, since where is the challenge otherwise? ;)

2. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I'm not sure it does stop.
    It has been a thing for a while now...

SirKaldar and Yzzey like this.
  3. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Hey guys, remember how we were joking about Derrick making his own pokemon games a few pages ago?
    derrickmon.png
    There was only so much I could do with my limited artistic talent.
    (Realized only an hour later that I posted this at 4:20.
    :D:fireball:)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. Rayze Darr

Rayze Darr Space Penguin Leader

-50479639, -31050303. X Lambda Gem 139 X b, as portrayed on Windows XP. This planet is a harsh Tier 10 environment, covered in snow but still featuring many pools of water and constant rainfall. Any amphibious creature with a thick enough hide would love to make this place their home.

2014-04-01_00020.jpg

And the Derrick are no exception. Its former plant-like bulb and more sweeping tail seem to both have evolved to better suit this more wet environment, with both becoming fins. It seems to also have formed a blue coloration - perfect for camouflage in the oceanic depths! These creatures are so adaptive.

2014-04-01_00021.jpg

I have taken one of them aboard my ship. He and I are two of a kind - amphibious creatures longing for a home, and a purpose. Granted, maybe that's only become I took him away from his home. The point still stands. I expect a great friendship to blossom. Perhaps if I stick with him long enough, his instinct may lead us to the real Derrick!

5. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Thanks for the Co-ords!
    Sweeeeettt.. I didn't see this till now as the pic didn't load on my phone. But this is amazing!

epicness403 likes this.
  6. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

i keep eye out for this guy

Yzzey likes this.
  7. Rayze Darr

The Derrick hunt is proving more exhausting than I had imagined, but I shall not surrender yet!

I will search near;

2014-04-01_00022.jpg

And far.

2014-04-01_00030.jpg

High;

2014-04-02_00001.jpg

And low;

2014-04-01_00024.jpg

And do everything I can to find Derrick! So far, I have discovered three sub-species, or "cousins," as it were.

The Sea Derrick:
    Sector: X
    X: -50479639
    Y: -31050303
    Planet: X Lambda Gem 139 X b
    Biome: Snow

2014-04-01_00031.jpg

The Magmatic Rock Derrick:
    X: -50479639
    Y: -31050303
    Planet: X Lambda Gem 139 IV a
    Biome: Magma

2014-04-01_00023.jpg

The Hulking Derrick:
    X: -47664931
    Y: 32643074
    Planet: X Nu Aql Minoris I b
    Biome: Jungle

2014-04-01_00004.jpg

It saddens me that my two newest discoveries are too large (and in the case of the latest, too aggressive) to bring aboard my ship, but it is my hope that by merely locating them, we have become one step closer to finding the true Derrick. Keep hunting, explorers!

8. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Awwww. Yhis is adorable. Be careful with him on asteroid fields. He'll be hard to get back if he falls right to the bottom.

9. Rayze Darr

Actually, he jumped off about three seconds after I took the screenshot. A bird flew by and he just HAD to jump after it. My heart completely sank with fear... but luckily he had landed on a particularly large asteroid about a screen down.

I now do asteroid fields by myself...

SirKaldar and Yzzey like this.
  10. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Lol. That was a stroke of luck that saved him. You should have figured that out though. Good thing you didn't need to learn it the hard way.

11. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

Let this be known that this is what will rekindle my fire for Starbound! Now I just need to find my own pet to sense him out.

Yzzey likes this.
  12. Ochiru Yuki

Ochiru Yuki Existential Complex

(Insert Emotional and inspiring speech that seem to go along with the song below here)

And thus from the shadows of the passing stars of fate, Darrick has been forever reincarnated throughout the universe!
    May you find the fragment that most resembles him.

(had to change my song from the privious to prevent my post from seeming like an insult.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
    Yzzey likes this.
  13. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

I don't completely understand the references to Oil with Derrick.
    Anyone mind explaining?

14. Ochiru Yuki

i think the guy ment this as a form of joke....

A derrick is a lifting device composed of one tower, or guyed mast such as a pole which is hinged freely at the bottom. It is controlled by lines powered by some means such as man-hauling or motors, so that the pole can move in all four directions.A line runs down and over its bottom with a hook on the end, like with a crane. It is commonly used in docks and on board ships. Some large derricks are mounted on dedicated vessels, and are often known as "floating derricks".

Another kind of derrick is used around oil wells and other drilled holes. This is generally called an oil derrick and is a complex set of machines specifically designed for optimum efficiency, safety and low cost. This is used on some offshore oil and gas rigs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Raising the stern on a Bakken oil Derrick
    The centerpiece is the archetypical derrick tower, used for lifting and positioning the drilling string and piping above the well bore, and containing the machinery for turning the drilling bit around in the hole. As the drill string goes deeper into the underlying soil or rock, new piping has to be added to the top of the drill to keep the connection between drill bit and turning machinery intact, to create a filler to keep the hole from caving in, and to create a conduit for the drilling mud. The drilling mud is used to cool the drilling bit and to blow rock debris clear from the drill bit and the bottom of the well. The piping joints sections—usually each about 10 meters (30 ft) long—have threaded ends, so they can be screwed together. The piping is hollow to allow for the mud to be pumped down into the drilling hole, where it flushes out at the drilling bit. The mud then proceeds upwards towards the surface on the outside of the piping, carrying the debris with it.

The derrick also controls the weight on the drilling bit, because the drill bit works at an optimum rate only when it is pushed with a precise degree of pressure relative to the rock beneath it. Too much weight can break the drilling bit, and not enough weight will prolong drilling time. At the start of drilling extra heavy piping collars are used to create enough weight to drill. Since the weight of the pipes above the drill bit will increase the pressure on it as it goes deeper, the derrick will apply less pressure as piping sections are added. It will eventually lift the nearly entire drill string-and-piping complex to prevent too much weight as the well gets deeper.

i havent been really reading this forum but i thought id try and clear the fog from that question.

SirKaldar, Yzzey and Dargona1018 like this.
  15. ThunderBeta

ThunderBeta Big Damn Hero

I found him. Then I lost him. True story.

16. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

Ah. That makes more sense.
    I feel so dumb now.

17. Ochiru Yuki

no dont feel dumb for it, it was just a random thing someone said that just needed some light shaded on it.
    and honestly i was just as clueless, just took some trial and error in finding the correct information.

and suddenly im looking up history now, so far im leaning about Pennhurst State school and Hospital. me and my search for random (and creepy) knowledge.

18. Zatnik

Zatnik Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found a couple of Derrick-ish creatures (Using Windows 7 and Enraged Koala):

pink-and-green.png
    This one spit green blobs at me.

Alpha char Majoris VII e
    -50252437, 98957386

brown.png
    Alpha char Majoris VII b
    -50252437, 98957386

19. FoxDE

FoxDE Void-Bound Voyager

I like all the derrick varieties that have been showing up lately, the last post is a good indicator as well at how similar models yet different colors can show up in the same system. Maybe if we find one, we should explore the rest of the system?

20. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Don't feel dumb, it isn't exactly considered common knowledge. I didn't know it too until a few pages ago.
    Yeah. I've been exploring with a character called 'Derrick Search Droid' and I've been searching in every single planet for him. I found a large blue Derrick cousin, but he was a night creature as well as hostile and killed me in a single hit.