1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Avali Race Mod 0.12.4

The only fluffy nomadic space raptors!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

I'm kinda new myself(to this thread). There is no chance in hell im reading this from start to finish however :rofl:.

2. TheTrueUmbrakiin

TheTrueUmbrakiin Giant Laser Beams

I feel ya bro. I feel ya. :up:

Also, I downloaded the Catalina Industries mod. Finally, something to wear other than my survival-gear-and-scarf-thing outfit

3. Fevix

Fevix Heliosphere

I have no clue if this was intentional or not, but the new avali symbol things fit EXACTLY into the areas on the Leviathan, @RyuujinZERO.

[​IMG]

(I had removed the elevator. It was fancy, but I wasn't outputting enough energy for it to be feasible due to my lack of "Let's collect liquids!" mentality)
    (Also, I'm currently rebuilding everything in the ship because a recent Starfoundry update completely wiped all of the Starfoundry objects (Like battery racks, etc.,) but left the pipes alone :rofl:. I've changed the farm to fully manual, and used the space that used to house machinery to install another layer, accessible from the cockpit. I'm also working on the smelting system to use the new Pipe Chest Adaptors, because chests are easier to manage than Starfoundry's item container things. I have a design in mind, but I'm not sure if it'll work.)

4. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

All this talk about avali clothing edits inspired me to work a bit on a thing...

I have a long ways to go if I want to do the entire sprite sheet for it, but here's what I have so far, in regards to refitting the vanilla 'pixel hero' outfit for avali use. :p Will likely pick it up again later.

Also, it doesn't show because it's a screenshot, but the arms each have their own layer, and the body/legs are one as well(well two for editing purposes but oh well)

The idea behind it was that there's a sort of tunic that they wear over the lower part of their body, instead of a skin-tight suit(which wouldn't work too well given FEATHERS EVERYWHERE) - this is more easily seen in the image to the right that has the arms/sleeves hidden.

Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 6.11.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-03-11 at 6.15.29 PM.png

It's been a while since I've done any serious pixel editing and I wasn't really a pro to begin with, but hopefully this looks OK. :rofl:

5. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

You're in the conversation now, go and check it.

6. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

ooh, nice tunic. If you ever do get it finished, send it my way and I'll add it to Catalina Inc.

7. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Can do. :) Sounds easier than my original idea of working on a completely new mod that converts the vanity items, heh.

How were you planning on doing that, by the way? This was based on a vanilla outfit, so I'd prefer that the pieces of the set be made using those items as a material, if possible. Maybe some kind of new workstation specifically for 'converting' outfits from the vanilla game into avali equivalents?

8. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

I can do that.

My plan is to eventually have a Catalina encounter that has randomized vendors.

9. Deathedge736

Is everything for this mod mostly Implemented?

10. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

11. Tokoshoran

Tokoshoran Pangalactic Porcupine

I say 3. 4 is a little too noisy, but 3 is a nice curve. Although, I think the "forward" end (in this case our left, the Avali's right leg) shouldn't curve back up like that. I get that it's curving downard due to the Avali's body shape, but it doesn't look all that good in the long run to me.

12. Deathedge736

I do not understand how a picture can be "noisy"

13. Silavor

Silavor Pangalactic Porcupine

It means there's too much going on in the sprite, either too many colours or shapes. A noisy/busy image is too complex, and it breaks the illusion of it being a real item instead of a pile of pixels on a screen.

14. Deathedge736

15. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would you describe this picture's design as a "quiet" design?

[​IMG]

"Noise" as it pertains to visual designs has to do with how "busy" the picture is and how much is going on. The curved lines on the loincloth are incredibly "noisy", in that the pattern breaks itself up a lot more than the straight lines version; it becomes confusing and cluttered.

16. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Personally I like how noisy it is. I might make it in addition to the straight one.

17. InADarkMirror

InADarkMirror Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think that in pixelart like this its important to keep designs clean and readable (especially when you're ostensibly creating alt-versions of existing outfits; the curved designs aren't really recognizably avian loincloths), but it's your sub-mod.

18. Deathedge736

probably true. if it all doesnt mesh well it would effect the game

19. Raieth

Raieth Ketchup Robot

Well I'm gonna make the straight one first. I'm just having trouble getting the shading to read properly. The humanoid loincloth is flat with only a slight curve on the edge shading wise, where as the digitigrade version is resting between the thighs and curves in the middle.

Advantage to getting it done? there appear to be many avian outfits that use the same loincloth shape.

If I do make the curved one it would be a separate item. I agree that it wouldn't 'read' as the avian loincloth.

also @RyuujinZERO thank you for pointing me towards Summer Wars. That was the best movie I've seen in a while!

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  20. Zaffa

Zaffa Void-Bound Voyager

We made a new addition to the moonbase!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The parked Avali freight shuttle is really the centerpiece of the new addition. I did my best to recreate the player ship (albiet adapted into an orbital shuttle for cargo). Tbh I'm not exactly sure how Avali logistics function so idk if something like this would be remotely close to canon. Anyway, while the original moonbase is human in origin, the warehouse was added by the Avali occupants after it became clear where wasn't enough storage space in the base proper nor room enough to expand the building, at least not without significant difficulty compared to simply building one separately. In terms of design, I was trying to figure out what a structure taking design cues from existing Avali dugouts would look like with the restriction that it be airtight and able to bear a tougher load than the ones we've seen (that's a whole mountain, not some little pile of dirt). Hopefully I accomplished that while keeping it obviously Avali in feel.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    RyuujinZERO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.