Modding Help Mod compatibility?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by seancruz, Mar 10, 2014.

1. seancruz

seancruz Big Damn Hero

Hi, maker of Rise of the Hylotl here.

I am usually, unfortunately very busy, and I'd love to update my mod, but usually, I find it a hassle to find information on how the new updates require new changes to mods.

Maybe there should be a sticky thread that lists out what needs to be updated to make mods compatible? Usually, I search the forums, search google, but I find few, if any results on what I need to do to make my mods compatible.

It's especially more difficult now that updates are a lot more constant.

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Recently the changelogs have been more forth coming about updates.

The only major update recently is " Interactable objectType has been depreciated.
    So if you use it - you no longer need to.

Also Chairs and anything you sit on have been given a new objectType - Loungable.
    ====

Besides that if you want to increase compatability
    Always use merge -and avoid dirty edits.

Also if you use any files which use 'overwrite" you will have to check each version of that file. Because overwrite generally removes new updates also - especially when it comes to vanillia files.
    The less your mod edits vanillia files - the more compatible it is. If it simply "adds" to vanillia files then you have nothing really to worry about.

The ones who have to worry are any those who really use overwrite.
    ====

Also in the future the "mod version" in mod info is being depreciated, so mod authors don't need to always change it every update

seancruz likes this.
  3. seancruz

seancruz Big Damn Hero

Thank you so much for the help, when I get a chance I shall update. Unfortunately, I have overwritten several aspects of the vanilla game, so I'll have to look into that.