1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Terraria Vs. StarBound (Poll/Argument)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Slice Of Cake, Dec 7, 2013.

?

TERRARIA VS. STARBOUND!

1. Terraria

29.2%
  2. Starbound

83.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiev

Tiev Subatomic Cosmonaut

No new bosses/biomes? :(

I don't feel the urge to play terraria anymore these days. And that is what I think is what Starbound can help with.

I've done it all in terraria. Have the best armor, the best weapon, defeated every boss and been to every biome/location.

Maybe a game that encourages building and surviving through hunger bar / cold bar / maintaining a fortress / managing an outpost might help with the: NOTHING ELSE TO DO feeling =/

2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Maybe look at Don't Starve? That's mostly a survival game, I believe.

3. ThePwn

ThePwn Astral Cartographer

Don't starve is a pretty good game to have in your collection. I couldn't really get passed the frustrating restart everytime you die aspect, but it is definitly worth buying.

Wanderwynd likes this.
  4. Azurium

Azurium Space Spelunker

As one of the people who purchased Terraria on Day 1 and just recently purchased Starbound, I'm going to have to say that Starbound is a lot better. Terraria was a very nice game, but I have always been a big Space / Sci-Fi fan. Starbound is just so much bigger than Terraria because of all the planets, and it provides a lot more atmosphere than Terraria. I actually feel like I am on an alien planet when I am playing Starbound.

ogboot and Pingeh like this.
  5. Tiev

Tiev Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, thanks for trying to help. I have don't starve. Lacks in the arcadey combat and sidescrolling that both terraria and starbound have :) It's fun though

6. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

If you want sidescrolling arcadey combat and insane difficulty, try Double Dragon 2, for NES... =P (yes, I know this is completely not what you asked for, but that game is really cool and I have fond memories of my psychotic ragefilled anger time playing it)

7. Luxes

Luxes Intergalactic Tourist

Terraria. Starbound doesn't come close to Terraria in terms of content. Sure it may have randomly generated worlds and monsters, but they are bland and have no variation between them asides from different colored dirt and the same few structures over and over again. The whole game is a straight grind from tier 1 to 10.
    Terraria on the other had much more variation. While lacking structures and expanse, makes up for it with fun exploration and a much more natural way to the top that doesn't feel like a pure grind.

8. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

For me personally, Starbound. In the end it's just more appealing to me than a more RPG style game. I did enjoy Terraria, but I'm just not big on RPGs. Even in it's unfinished state, myself and my friends are finding we're enjoying ourselves on Starbound way more than we did Terraria. Hell, when we found out about Starbound, whenever we played Terraria we just kept going "Man, I wish Starbound was out." It's pretty much everything I want out of a sandbox game; Sci-fi style with races to choose from, freedom to travel across infinite planets and build whatever, etc etc. It's perfect for me. I can't really see myself ever playing Terraria again except maybe for some quick nostalgia.

9. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well I tried the new terraria version today and the first thing I noticed is that my eye pleasing hotbar is now replaced with a blinding yellow item highlight. Unless I'm missing something there is no way to change it from options. Yellow is one of the hardest colors on the eyes (Which is why its used on warning signs and school buses).

In starbound correcting this would just be a second, but terraria got to be all hard and require special software and all that. I'd probably need to spend a day hunting and learning to use those programs.

Pingeh likes this.
  10. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

I think you need to take on consideration that We are in beta, and Starbound has lots of a potential. You are kinda judging a newborn baby, but I see why you would like Terraria more.

For me? Starbound. Just because of the races.

11. UnsoundMrBlaze

UnsoundMrBlaze Void-Bound Voyager

I played and bought Minecraft, Terraria, and Starbound, and I have to say that I played more Starbound than Minecraft and Terraria combined. I couldn't get too into Terraria, mostly because that underground worm monster kept finding me when I was digging underground. Made my skin crawl way too much >.<

12. Luxes

Saying the game is in beta is no excuse. A beta is supposed to be a period in a game's development where bugs are fixed and everything is tweaked, not to add new things. Although this isn't the case with Starbound (mostly due to the fact that they messed up and hadn't kept it as alhpa), it seems the tier grind system is here to stay, especially with the recent news post that confirms that the tiers will be locked behind an even larger pixel wall. Even if new ways of creating pixels are made, this still doesn't eliminate the fact that you are grinding from one tier to another.
    Not to glorify Terraria too much (I enjoy it, but it does have it's problems), but as I said, progression in Terraria is much more natural. You start with exploring the surface, to then exploring the underground, to exploring the dungeon, to beating the wall of flesh, etc.
    It didn't feel like a grind, as exploring the underground and such rewarded the player with accessories that would give them advantages and allow them to do much more and progress. Starbound's lack of accessories beyong techs (which are highly limited in number) and numerous above ground chests give little to no incentive to go underground as opposed to skimming the surface and moving on, especially when the tech chests and chests in general appear in above ground structures. So what does this result in? It results in the player running across the surface of numerous planets in search of better weapons (which arre rare because the RNG tends to screw you), pixels (for crafting) and ores (to make better armor) all centered around fighting the next boss to advance to the next sector, where you'll be weak again and just have to repeat the process. There's no sense of true progression, sure your weapon may do some more damage and your armor protects you better, but it has no value unless you go back into the easier sectors, which there is little point to doing, especially so when the ores you need to craft the next tier of items aren't present.

13. Guppy The Cat

Guppy The Cat Heliosphere

I see, I kind of agree with your opinion now.
    Also one point I also disagree with starbound
    Endless mining.
    No seriously, you mine more than you walk.

14. Juanbros

Juanbros Void-Bound Voyager

Personally I think the community in Starbound is better than the one in Terraria.

15. Daimoth

Daimoth Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Terraria has a bizarre and uneven difficulty curve. And some of those drop rates are downright merciless. Starbound is better as it stands, but who knows what the devs will decide to do with it once they really set themselves to balancing stuff.

16. GameQB11

GameQB11 Phantasmal Quasar

It depends on what kind of gamer you are.

For me, when it comes to core gameplay, Terraria is more advanced than SB. The progression is leaps and bounds ahead of SB IMO.

SB is more like a theme park. Plenty of cool sights, but no real in depth gameplay. Its more about ushering you from asset to asset than it is in providing a gamers game.

17. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

lol this just keeps on rolling, does the poll really matter?

18. Slice Of Cake

Slice Of Cake Phantasmal Quasar

I'm waiting till alittle longer for more solid results.

19. Starboundcommunity566

Starboundcommunity566 Pangalactic Porcupine

Try playing terraria on hardcore mode, with its insta kill you at lower level boulder/explosive traps, or a pirate invasion.

Like I said earlier, the game likes to troll you, like if you use two of the first eye boss summon items at the same time the wiki says it will auto kill you.

20. Luxes

You're saying that like touching a single block of acid or magma which was barely visible is any better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.