1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Sci-Fi VS Fantasy: Which direction do YOU want to see the game take?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Haltus Kain, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Don't vote for what you don't want! Read the POLL DESCRIPTION below, first!

1. Science Fiction

26.9%
  2. Science Fantasy, emphasis on the Science

45.6%
  3. Science Fantasy

21.3%
  4. Science Fantasy , emphasis on the Fantasy

5.8%
  5. Fantasy

0.5%
  1. Verranicus

Verranicus Big Damn Hero

The forums don't represent a majority of the playerbase, so using a topic like this to "make the most desirable product" is a fallacy.

Maxakari likes this.
  2. Haltus Kain

Haltus Kain Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you think the playerbase as a whole would vote differently than the sample population here on the forums? If yes, why?

3. Priscillasdagger

Priscillasdagger Orbital Explorer

Science Fantasy with an emphasis on science. I miss games that have you use your brain and make you smarter... ( i.e. Myst franchise, Physicus, etc...)

Haltus Kain likes this.
  4. Haltus Kain

Can't put enough emphasis on that! Games are fun because they (should) require you to think! If we wanted to just sit and stare at a screen, that's what TV is for.

Dag'nam casuals! Git off mah entertainment industry! *waves cane in anger*

5. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

Science Fantasy with a strong emphasis on Science.
    I am a rabid magic/dragons/fantasy fan but this game really does need to focus on the science. It can have the Fantasy element in it easily enough (sup glitch) but Science just fits the entire game's theme far, far better.

6. Rubyeyed

Rubyeyed Orbital Explorer

What I would like to see is for this game to get more similar to warhammer 40k. There were mostly scientific stuff (like in the Imperium of Man/Tau Empire etc) but there was also room for some fantasy elements (summoning demons by chaos cultists or eldar farseers and rituals). There is no need to create artificial borders, things just need to be explained in a reasonable manner and it is all good.

7. x6snake6x

x6snake6x Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I totally went for science fiction. It is in fact what I wished this game would have been. I really don't like the bone firing axes :( or the po... ah well. Anyways, yeah, make the sci-fi atmosphere denser, that's my vote :D

8. Jotagonist

Jotagonist Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd like both with the emphasis on science. The bone dragon was odd, it could have been a robotic dragon that was initially going to made for the glitch but something has gone awry with its programming much like the glitch. I dunno, could have been something like that instead of being a bone dragon out of the blue!

Haltus Kain likes this.
  9. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Priscilla's Dagger?
    You... monster ! How could you kill that innocent thing?

10. Haltus Kain

The Glitch actually don't seem that fantasy to me. They're stuck in a semi-medieval stage of development (yet retain the ability to have a presence on multiple planets, so they've got at least some understanding of, or access to space travel) but I haven't noticed any fireballs or anything magic in nature from them... just robots with swords.

11. Arkoonius

Arkoonius Subatomic Cosmonaut

I like the way it is, although I'd like if they would extend upon the Glitch's medieval theme some more towards the Fantasy side. I mean, you CAN get some "wizard/magi" cosmetic items in the game. What says there can't be a kind of backpack that holds "Mana" (aka energy) for "magic"? You can still do "magic" within the laws of science. I mean, perhaps the glitch has access to a type of tesla coil that can concentrate electricity/lightning and fire it in a specific direction? You'd have a Lightning Bolt magic of sorts right there.

Even so, that would be something I'd at least like to see as a mod... hmm. I'll perhaps get on that.

12. phyvo

phyvo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes. Because scientifically and statistically speaking, forumgoers do not represent the playerbase as a whole. They certainly may represent aspects of the playerbase but they're (a) self selected, (b) more active when they have something to complain about than when they're perfectly happy, and (c) it being an internet forum a lot of people probably didn't read your lengthy your first post to normalize their definitions and we have no way of knowing how many did or didn't. As a result the current poll may *seem* right but we have no way of knowing that it is mostly right.

No sampling method is perfect (no one has the time and resources to sample everybody) but there's a reason why statisticians and companies almost never use forum polls when they're doing their research. It's an interesting poll but if Chucklefish wants to know the direction to take I hope that they don't rely on it.

13. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

There is a telsa coil weapon in game. lol I have gotten one before. Acts similar to a spear but shoots electric charge foward... The wizard/magi outfits could be described as Alchemist... in a way, but I at least know what you mean; since it is a iconic symbol usually. (think that is the right term)

14. Dread Pirate Roberts

You don't need magic to be fantasy based. The medieval aspect alone is pretty fantasy. They do have wizard NPCs (who sell stims, not magic, but medicine is considered magic). There's also the whole "undead dragon boss" thing that's quite a bit fantastical, imo.

15. Nman1477

Nman1477 Aquatic Astronaut

Defiantly Science fantasy emphases on science. I love magic but I also like most things to be explained.

16. renato1402

renato1402 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really think it should be fantasy, its perfect for starbound

17. FLOknows

FLOknows Subatomic Cosmonaut

Straight up science fiction for me. Sciencey (not a word I know) "magic" is fine with me, like telekinesis and gravity manipulation, but I'd rather not see wizards, spells, potions, etc. in the game.
    Medicine is magic? Not sure what you mean by that.

18. Estorm732

Estorm732 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I sure like to see magic and would be disappointed if fantasy elements were removed.That being said,I don't mind -and perhaps would like- the game to have heavier emphasis on sci-fi.

19. Haltus Kain

Medieval doesn't mean fantasy. They often show up together, but they are distinct. Similarly, there's a difference between a wizard and a dude (or robot) wearing robes and a pointy hat. Glitch are kind of the bastard child of Sci-Fi and medieval, but I really don't see any fantasy in the Glitch.

So, I'd say you DO need magic to be fantasy based, but magic is pretty vague. The best definition I've seen for "magic" is anything that breaks the laws of science.

So, conjuring a fireball? Well, energy cannot be created or destroyed... but to conjure a fireball is to create heat and light out of nothing, so... magic. Fantasy.

Undead skeletal dragon? Bones cannot move without muscles; and things cannot fly unless they can displace air quickly enough to support their weight... but the skeletal dragon does both of those, so... magic. Fantasy

But, the Glitch? They haven't done anything that I've seen so far that has any fantasy elements. Just robots in medieval garb and architecture.

20. Dread Pirate Roberts

Just as magic does not mean fantasy. The two are often associated but they are not one in the same.
    If I brought back a flashlight to the medieval period would it not be considered magic?
    Depending on how you look at it, magic can be explained by the laws of science. This highly depends on the "laws" of magic being used in the particular instance, but many games like to make magic more science-based.

I was saying the bone dragon was fantasy, so. Y'know. Yeah.