1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Tutorial Starbound Server Management Console Release

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Icer, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Borgius

Borgius Tentacle Wrangler

I turn on the display for a number of online players starbound-servers.net?
    who does it work?

2. Nazty Fox

Nazty Fox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I found the problem, I did not open the required port on my router for that specific computer.

3. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

Do you plan on having ingame commands such as /item or /give so admins can build spawn towns with ease? Also setting spawn protection for specific worlds.

4. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

Hi!

Sorry if this was already asked an burried in this thread. I would really like to use a sophisticated management solution for my small-ish SB server. Why don't you release your project as open source (pref. on github.com)? I, and I guess some more guys here, are absolute willing to submit code on this!

Please Ice, let us get this big! :)

5. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Since the Starrybound issue, I belive all work on wrappers has been suspended (on the forums at least). I think Chucklefish contacted the devs and asked not to respond to the threads - since all of them went quite. This gives me hope for long expected built-in server tools.

6. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

Sounds good! :up:

7. supernet2

supernet2 Existential Complex

Is that really the case? Where was this listed or posted about? Any ideas why? I understand starrybound was a issue but wow... if that seriously happened. Just wow, stomping out the community from working as a team(?)

8. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

It is only my assumption. Sorry for misleading you in any way. Just now I was looking at Aegis thread, which seems alive :)

9. supernet2

I was watching a few threads and they dont seem inactive, another one was CMS. Thats also a form of a wrapper.

10. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Ye was looking at that one too, looks interesting!

11. supernet2

i think its neat i was gonna run it on MySQL and mimic what the guy has setup just right now more focused on getting out information to venders and licensing and all that fun stuff that comes with my job. :/

12. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Good luck with that! And yeah i'm waiting and hoping something rly nice will come for server with the patch, and then the CMS thing will be rly great addition.

13. Daedalus2051

Daedalus2051 Intergalactic Tourist

This looks great! I just got this working last night, and I have to say "Job well done!"... I love the fact that the original server output is preserved in addition to the features that the console brings.

An interesting side note... I was working in Powershell when I first tried to get it running, and for whatever reason it would not show up in any browser. No matter what I tried it would just say "Page could not be displayed". Shut down out of everything and tried it in a command console, and suddenly everything worked perfectly... not sure why, but I also don't care because it's working haha.

Anyway kudos once again, and thanks for this awesome contribution to the community!

14. Michelle911

Michelle911 Orbital Explorer

well I decided to try this on the server I just set up and I use Hamachi, I've never done real well with forwarding ports so it works nicely for me. the server runs on my own computer here and I play the game on it too.

it seems to work, but... my friends were playing when I loaded the server management console and it kicked them all off. realized afterwards it kicks me off when I'm playing too.

also seems to make the official console window disappear and I can't get it back without quitting and reloading the server. to quit I have to go into task manager and end it that way.

this looks like something I want to run but for now I guess it's causing more trouble than I know how to deal with... have I done something wrong or is this all normal expected behavior?

15. supernet2

16. Michelle911

17. supernet2

the post explains it exactly as is. On the local machine (assuming your trying to access admin commands), you can only do it through web browser. any will do. type in web browser 127.0.0.1:21005 (i think thats the default?) it should work. on a remote ip you'd need to define that remote ip as a admin ip and then also access via global ip:21005 or whatever port you define in the ISSMconsole.xml im assuming you read the original post that explains all of this though.

18. Michelle911

I'm sure your post makes sense to you :p to me however I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.... unless maybe you don't understand my problem with the ISSMConsole.

The ISSMConsole loads, and it appears to work fine. I can see the server and that it's up and running by looking at the GUI in my web browser. I can shut down the server and probly everything else it can do.

but

when I load the ISSMConsole everyone loses connection and my 'official' console becomes inaccessible.

so yeah, I don't totally understand this stuff but I'm a fast learner and I'm willing to try anything... with the information I have available it's just not working out.

Thanks for trying to help tho!

19. supernet2

oh just the console loads?

Did you kill the starbound_server.exe process(?) with task manager? If so, that tends to auto terminate the ISSMconsole. Sometimes this fails though and causes ISSM to fail to correctly shutdown for some unknown reason the starbound.config "breaks" and causes a lockdown, changing the starbound.config back to default configs. This.. i dont have a answer for. Only had this happen to me once and it was in the initial release of the console... and this was during its memory leak phase. At least in my experience.

Oh and when you restart ISSMconsole.. it also starts up another starbound_server.exe instance.. i think theirs a setting in the properties that lets you know how many instances you can have running side by side. If you try to run the console side by side with the same port though... chances are this is gonna have some sorta traffic collision resulting in what your saying, that or it could just be a simple server restarting and the server mass kicks everyone. Thats normal. Server isn't running everyone cannot connect/disconnects because of the server shutdown/early termination. Thats all.

If your saying your running multiple consoles/server instances on the same pc... well you gotta configure each one in a different directory else you wil have this issue... its related to the different server instances trying to pull information from the same directory causing a "tug o war" sorta effect. Think of it like this, server instance 1 is pulling data from universe folder. Server instance 2 is pulling data from universe folder. Both are attempting to access different or same world files, or different files altogether. This causes well.. crashes because its conflicting with what process can access the world, and Read/Write has hickups and well... crashes the server.

Thats what im picking up... if im going off trail... explain it barney style... because.. i'd need better idea how you setup server (ex: when you stop the server, do you restart it ? When you press stop button in the web gui it shuts down that ISSM console instance as well as the starbound_server.exe instance) This inturn causes a safe shutdown. If you restart and the server still acts weird... im not sure how to answer that with out more details of what you were doing at time of issue. # of processes running, and what the processes were doing at time of this issue... could be processor just improperly processing data or taking to long in the PID (or handling of when to load the process) and comes to a "hang" where the server just hangs... forever. It could also be the hard drive might be reading to much data and is stalling before getting to the data queue where it will read the root directory/files to load up the server files/mods. Could be alota things..

20. IcyPhoenix

IcyPhoenix Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hi,

Just wondering where the source for this server wrapper is?

-Icy