1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Bug reports for Risk of Rain 1.0.2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by needsomemiracle, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TZer0

TZer0 Master Chief

My issues disappeared the moment I ran the game as administrator - but this should not be necessary.

Issues (Random occurrences of one or more of the below):
    Crashes (hang, not CTD) - exit and level-change
    Certain missing sounds (especially music on every stage after the 2nd)
    Unable to open the menu (esc)

Specs:
    Win 7 - 64 bit
    AMD 965 X4 - 4 cores @ 3.4 GHz
    8 GB of RAM
    Asus Xonar DG
    Two screens - one TV connected through HDMI (1920x1080) and a normal screen connected through DVI.

• rocifier

rocifier Seal Broken

Problem: After update 1.02 Game runs very slowly in both SP and MP modes, less than 40fps, often down to 22fps. At this speed 1 game second seems to equal about 3 seconds in realtime, so the game takes a long time to complete and skips a lot in MP. This happens regardless of any graphics options, including running at 1x scale, although this did get an extra few fps bringing the game from 22fps to 24fps typical.
      Expected: Game runs 50-60 fps like it always used to. Hardware: Acer Aspire E1-531 laptop running Windows 8.

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. I've noticed that sometimes keycard doors on UES Contact Light wouldn't open even if I have spare cards. I suspect the droids to be a cause of this but I'll have to confirm that. So far I've seen the Armory and the Cabin refuse to open. As you can see, there's no prompt to press a key.
        Attempts at door unlocking: 0:15, 1:31, 1:54, 2:22, 3:26 - 3:47 (successful underlined).

2. I know that Providence got a boost in 1.0.2, but in the game above, once he activated his uber-armor mode where most sources are mitigated to 1 point of damage, this mode didn't end until I defeated that form. And at the same time Thallium showed some crazy DoT numbers that didn't really match his health bar as far as I've noticed. Is this supposed to be that way? If I didn't have the meteor, which penetrated his armor and dealt around 1000 damage per hit, it'd take hours of running back and forth trying to chip away his health.
        Providence fight: 04:55 - 10:42

3. Probably balance issue rather than a bug: the meteor use item + beating embryo absolutely decimates the Wurms. They were down from full health to zero health literally six seconds after I activated the meteor.
        7:03 - 7:14

• needsomemiracle

needsomemiracle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unfortunately, the forum seems to be a bit laggy this whole day and I get an error-500 whenever I try to edit the OP.
          I'll update it when the issue's resolved.

• Lotus Gramarye

Lotus Gramarye Master Chief

I've had the no audio issue, as well as launching the game from the .exe resulting in an error mentioning the steam_gm.dll file. After doing a bunch of crap (including reinstalling all my versions of Visual c++ and replacing the steam_gm.dll file with one from another game) I was able to launch it from the .exe, but the audio bug still persists, and now I get a new error in the report that's different from the standard one you get from the no audio bug.

Code:
            Time:15:45:29

ERROR in
            action number 1
            of End Step Event
            for object oInit:

In script sinBassStreamIsPlaying:
            Error in code at line 9:

return external_call(global.var_sin_bass_stream_is_playing,argument0);
              ^
            at position 30: Unknown variable var_sin_bass_stream_is_playing

• Addy

Addy Aquatic Astronaut

I saw no mention of this and figured it was worth mentioning;

When you select "try again" after failing a run, your gold count doesn't technically reset. It starts at the appropriate numbers but when you fail the next run, it adds all the gold you just earned to the previous gold count. Really warps your high scores!

• OneBlackbird

OneBlackbird Space Hobo

After playing a multiplayer game last night, I can no longer connect to any servers and get this error every time.

Code:
                ERROR in
                action number 1
                of Alarm Event for alarm 5
                for object objClient:

In script client_message_send:
                Error in code at line 79:

sendmessage(objClient.sock);
                                        ^
                at position 24: Unknown variable sock

• WihteSparrow

WihteSparrow Seal Broken

FALSE NEW RECORD SCORE
                  Exactly what the name says. I died REALLY early on and the scoreboard said my score of ~5k for the run was a new one whereas I had actually achieved a score of 40k before. No new items nor anything else were unlocked this run:
                  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=210650496

• WihteSparrow

WihteSparrow Seal Broken

HAPPIEST MASK MAKES FINDING LAST ENEMIES DIFFICULT
                    The happiest mask causes the "remaining enemies arrow" to point towards the ghosts you have spawned until they disappear. In other words, ghosts that the happiest mask spawns are regarded as actual enemies by the arrow (NOT by the actual number) that shows up at the end of the portal countdown when you have 'x' number of enemies remaining.
                    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=210650535

• Treadlight

Treadlight Existential Complex

Oh, I think I know why that happens. It seems to keep track of your records with individual characters for some reason, even though it only shows you your best ones on the stats page.

• WihteSparrow

WihteSparrow Seal Broken

That's actually not true for this case as I only have 2 characters (commando and enforcer) and I hate the enforcer so I only play as commando which the 40k score was achieved with along with this 5k score.

• Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

I got a similar error, unable to join any multiplayer games. It also lets me 'connect' when no-one is hossting. All I see is a box with the words "Force item Shareing" beside it.

Code:
                          ERROR in
                          action number 1
                          of Alarm Event for alarm 5
                          for object objClient:

In script client_message_send:Error in code at line 79:   
                          sendmessage(objClient.sock);  ^at position 24: Unknown variable sock

• Silent-G

Silent-G Master Chief

I'm getting the exact same crashes and bugs and have very similar specs.
                            Win 7 - 64 bit
                            AMD FX 4170 - 4 cores @ 4.20 GHz
                            Radeon HD 7850
                            8 GB of RAM
                            Asus Xonar DG

Attached Files:

• Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Juice Box finds that his music in game stops, then later his other sound... and then (after long play sessions), when Juice Box exits the game all of his computer sound has stopped.

• meow247

meow247 Pangalactic Porcupine

poor lil' juice box :(
                                try reinstalling the redist and restart your pc

• Juice Box

Juice Box Pangalactic Porcupine

Restarting Juice Box's PC DOES fix the problem, until JB plays RoR again.

• BeAuMaN

BeAuMaN Orbital Explorer

I'm having similar problems:
                                    • Hanging at exit and level-change. This additionally results in an infinite sound loop after I'm forced to close the game, which I must restart my computer to clear.
                                    • Missing sounds are usually music and primary fire sound
                                    • I too am unable to open menu occassionally, resulting in myself needing to close the game. This also results in an infinite sound loop and a need to restart to clear it.
                                    • Additionally, as I wrote this bug report and did some research, I left the game that hung open in the background. All of my sound is gone. It seems that given enough time, it eventually kills all the sound.

Specs:
                                    Win 7 - 64 bit
                                    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz
                                    8 GB of RAM
                                    Razer Barracuda Sound Card running C-Media OEM Drivers.
                                    One Samsung Syncmaster P2770 27" Screen

This is a sound card issue, but it's not an Asus-only issue. The Razer Barracuda AC-1, now outdated, uses a C-Media CMI8788 sound processing chip to run it. The Asus Xonar DG uses a C-Media CMI8786 on theirs, which is actually a custom-ordered cheaper version of the CMI8788, which cut the 24-bit sound processing sampling size from 192Khz, and cut the channels from 8 to 6. Furthermore, as quoted below, the Xonar DX and D2X have CMI8788 chips. Essentially... These are the same central processing units though. It might be a good idea to take stock of who else is having these problems, and see if it's isolated to these chips, or C-Media chips in general.

The TL;DR is this is a Chip/OEM Driver level error, not an Asus error.

I've tried reinstalling the redists and that didn't solve anything. I'll see if shutting off EAX in my C-Media driver controls does anything. Edit: It worked. Or at least so far. I was able to make it to level 3 without losing any sound and without crashes. Finally I'm not losing all my progress! For anyone with C-Media OEM Drivers, the feature that's equivilent to "GX Mode" is known as "EX Xear 3D". Same thing.

I'll keep these here, since they're related.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
                                      Silent-G and Treadlight like this.
                                    • Silent-G

Silent-G Master Chief

I appear to have GX mode turned off, I'm not sure? It's hard to tell but I assumed when GX was grey in the button that meant it was off and if it was white it was on, I'll try it both ways, but in the mean time should I change any of my other settings? I don't know a lot about audio cards and their settings, maybe I should change the number of channels?
                                      asus audio center.JPG

BeAuMaN likes this.
                                      • BeAuMaN

BeAuMaN Orbital Explorer

I'm not a Xonar owner, but I'd say it looks like "GX Mode" is off. As I said in the edit on my post, I tried out disabling Xear 3D, which is the OEM equivalent, and it solved the problem. GX Mode should be the only thing you have to disable. Let us know if it solves your problem so this can be further confirmed.

Hey needsomemiracle.
                                        Can we please get the "For Sound Card owners having troubles with crashing, sound loss, etc, make sure to disable EAX Mode if your sound card comes with it, also known as 'GX Mode' and 'EX Xear 3D', to solve the problems" moved from the reported bug subsection to the temporary solutions up top? This would have saved me a lot more time and effort if I had done that instead of re-installing C++ redists repeatedly. Thanks!

Silent-G likes this.
                                        • Silent-G

Silent-G Master Chief

Okay, so I tried it with GX off(?) and it worked! I think the interface for Xonar is really weird, if you look closely when "GX" is white, the button looks bubbled outwards as if it isn't pressed, and when it's grey it bubbles inwards as if it's pressed, I had no idea I had GX turned on this whole time. But I'm really glad I got this figured out, thank you so much for your help. I just got my first win with Acrid after getting the game to run. I'm going to go post this on the Steam forums as well.

BeAuMaN likes this.
                                          Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.