Modding Help Adding Racial Attributes?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Huginn, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Huginn

Huginn Master Chief

So if you've tried the mod I put together, faceMod, you'll see I've expanded the character creation window 1 row, and left a blank space for a few extra options:

[​IMG]

My question is, how would I go about adding options to these spaces? I wanted to try adding "FACE COLOR" to the list, so I tried copying the code for the feature labels and buttons from the charactercreation windowconfig, and added what I thought would be the necessary line to the .species file, but that just crashed my game.

Any modding masters know how I could do this?

NerArth likes this.
  2. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

Can't be done, character creation menu options are hardcoded.

3. infinitetech

infinitetech Big Damn Hero

what you can do is add a chest or...9 onto starting ships with all the options as items, then make the items sit down like in fallout when you get a haircut, just add extra slots into the inventory that cant be altered by hand and make sure they rended, this could also work for my race specific traits idea which gives things like "water breathing" to the hylotls

4. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

Pretty sure you can't add more equip slots either.

5. Huginn

Huginn Master Chief

Yeah I had a feeling, I noticed each race could only have 10 options... Well here's hoping some kind of future update will allow us to expand it. I really wanted custom-colorable faces, but I guess I'll just have to make a separate texture for each color and add them that way... This is gonna bloat the shit out of my mod ~_~

Thanks for the response!

6. infinitetech

you can, but the code to do so is a huge pain, you have to mod about 30 different files

7. Huginn

Huginn Master Chief

Not as big of a pain as the alternative; Create a completely separate texture for each face option's individual color (IE beardRed,beardBlue,beardGreen,cyberRed; cyberBlue,cyberGreen etc). If you can list the files you think I'd need to hit, I shouldn't have much trouble figuring out how to add what I need :V

Will definitely give props if you can point me in the right direction!

8. infinitetech

sorry ive been busy, I will get a list together though

Huginn likes this.
  9. Huginn

Huginn Master Chief

Thanks, dude! I'll keep an eye out!

10. Niran

Niran Cosmic Narwhal

As far as i can see, it is not possible right now, not even with editing lots of files. As soon as you give an UI widget a function the game crashes, because it can't handle this situation yet. Functions are hardcoded into the game exe and since we have no way to bind a function to a new script file that could then do certain stuff, which also has to be coded to be possible. A possible solution would be coding everything as open as possible, only hardcoded the very necessary basic things which are then used to do everything else via scripts but then again we would probably need a huge wiki and lots of modding information for each available function. Not to mention the massive amount of recoding everywhere.

NerArth likes this.
  11. infinitetech

those are the codes ive been trying to track down, it is extremely tough to do though haha, X-x

12. Niran

Niran Cosmic Narwhal

Don't waste your time. It's not possible.

Simple test: Add a new spinner to character creation with either a duplicate or new function name = game crashes
    Conclusion: The game can't handle new or duplicate functions, it will just bail with a crash. Now combine this knowledge with how the character spinners are made:
    They are a fixed set of spinners that are changed in their function via a boolean. Now add 1+1 together and you will realise that you can't add more character customization spinners other than those that are already available and not even all at the same time since particular spinners are changed in how they work via a boolean which makes the base function not available anymore. They can either just do this OR that but not both since for both you would have to add a new spinner which again crashes the game if its given a function.

Huginn likes this.
  13. Huginn

Huginn Master Chief

Ah damn, well thanks for clearing that up, Niran, and thanks for putting in the effort, Infinitetech! Hopefully a way around this will present itself in the future...