1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED StarReader: Starbound Web-Based Player Save File Editor

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gear, Dec 10, 2013.

1. jacken

jacken Master Chief

changing race?

2. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Eventually, yes

3. Nosferatu_Alucard

Nosferatu_Alucard Phantasmal Quasar

i keep trying to add the fishaxe to my inventory and it keeps turning into the generic item

4. Nisteth

Nisteth Void-Bound Voyager

A quick question: when I enter Starreader and upload my character file, the page goes white. I'm wondering if this is a problem on my side or not, and if anyone has any idea how to fix it.

5. Leifon

Leifon Space Spelunker

I've run into a problem that anytime I change the description on my character, he won't show up on the character list after I replace the save file.

Edit : Nevermind I figured out why.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Made some small updates, hopefully fix a couple issues

Item icons thanks again to McSimp's json dump:p

7. blaize9

blaize9 Space Hobo

Your icons are 404ing, looks like the path is incorrect.

8. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Its just blindly trying to find the image, some of them, mostly armors wont show.

I'd like to add all the items in the next update as well as some options to mod your current and max health/hunger/etc

9. vRandom

vRandom Void-Bound Voyager

I need help with the swing speed on swords and energy usage on guns.

10. Bixybixy2

Bixybixy2 Big Damn Hero

So i tried it for a bit, wanted to pimp out my sniper rifle to be one handed so i can use a grapple with it, and i came across this error below:

"UuidException: Size Mismatch in reading Uuid from ByteArray: 19 vs 16
    007DBEB5
    008DBF46
    00531D36
    00403C75
    00407C78
    004D9551"

Shortly after, it gave me another error after it if i didn't close it (Found out while copying this in)

"This application has requested the runtime to termiante it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Hopefully this helps iron out some bugs, because I also get the same error saving a file with just a name change or description change, but it also popped up with just messing with the weapon. Didn't try a blank save to see if it is just something wrong with how it recompiles all of the information.

11. Sadida

Sadida Hey, You!

How do you give yourself new items? Using the raw, ripped codename only results in broken save files.
    Edit: Nevermind. I guess it only works for certain items? The metalworking station worked just fine, but I can't get the robotic crafting table or the gold armor set in my inventory.

12. mickybubbles

mickybubbles Space Penguin Leader

i've got lots of items including armor and weapons and never had any problems
    worst htat usually happens is, it comes up as a generic item, if you get the name wrong
    never had it break my saves

13. Sadida

Sadida Hey, You!

Weird. When I try to give myself certain items, the game gives me an error and won't open.

UuidException:Size mismatch in reading Uuid from ByteArray 18 vs 16, it says.

14. Ruko

Ruko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I got this error once and I fixed it by relocating my backup save to a different folder. I think having extra files in the player folder throws this error. If your backup is located in a different area and you're getting this error, then I have no idea.

I've tried editting weapons multiple times but the end result is always a generic cube or results in my player simply not showing up on the select screen. I've resorted to only copy/pasting data from one weapon into another similar weapon but this still happens every time and I'm not sure why.

15. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

I haven't been able to test weapon editing that much, I actually started my first starbound playthrough a couple days ago. I've been holding off a little on putting too much work into validating weapons/values, as I feel we might get a save overhaul sooner than later.

I'd recommend only doing small tweaks to individual values for the moment

16. Sadida

Sadida Hey, You!

My backup save and my edited save are in different folders and I still get the error. How weird.

Edit: I fixed it by making a new character.

17. CriticalTuba

CriticalTuba Orbital Explorer

I can edit one of my characters and play it, but not the other. By this I mean when I edit one of my characters (and replace the player file as I've always done each time I edit one), they don't appear in the character selection list. I made a new character and the new one does appear there. Any suggestions? It's so illogical it hurts.

Addition: Still occurs if I: change nothing (change something, then change it back to the original), change my description back to the default, and change the UUID.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  18. Ruko

Ruko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Was your character created before the change was made to make players safe inside of ships? If so, this could be the cause, as it's the only thing a character created now should have different over an old one, ESPECIALLY since doing nothing to change the save causes the same problem. If your character was created after the "no damage on ships, requires new character" thing was added, then I have no clue.

19. CriticalTuba

CriticalTuba Orbital Explorer

Yes, it was created before that, and the one that works was created after. I was just editing the files with no issue yesterday though. I may have to make a new character I suppose... Unless this issue is fixed by the gracious creator of StarReader.

Uh, another addition, I am going to sleep, so that may hinder my ability to reply...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  20. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm aware that in some cases the saves get rebuilt in a weird way that I haven't been able to identify, i havent had much time due to a real world passing of a family member. I dont think ill be able to fix a save gone wrong, but please please please please please always make a backup before editing.