1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Refinery And How It Hurts The Game

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MiniKnog Agent, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Dyskord

Dyskord Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the refinery. Yes, when you refine certain ores you get a crapton of pixels, HOWEVER, if for example you want to build some nice housing with machines and devices you found and scanned in your printer, you need this crapton of pixels, and even more of them.
    Selling stuff to NPCs would be something i would love though. All these swords and other things i find and just throw away :/

2. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

I'm no
    Yes, "ignoring" a non issue because you are crying wolf or that the sky is falling over something that is a non issue, are you going to make a thread about monsters pixel drop counts going up as the game progresses now making pixels worthless?

There is nothing wrong with the refinery, it keeps ores relevant the whole game as a different income source.

XaoG and Percy Lillywinkle like this.
  3. MiniKnog Agent

MiniKnog Agent Astral Cartographer

It is obviously not a non-issue.

You get access to it far too early, and it scales far too well into later tiers where the lesser ores are still abundant yet there's nothing for you to craft with them.

Sitting at several hundred of thousands of Pixels in my Refinery right now.

4. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

What's wrong with having a fall back or 'banked' pixels? Everyone is crying and moaning for a bank when TECHNICALLY you have one in the form of ores and the refinery, just don't refine them and you've got all the pixels you need banked up waiting to be used.

XaoG likes this.
  5. MiniKnog Agent

Because the items you can spend Pixels on are obviously not balanced against the idea of the player having so much Pixels.

As I said, it trivializes Pixels. Might as well remove them from the game once you get the Refinery.

6. Aquillion

Aquillion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the idea is that pixels are supposed to become mostly trivial beyond a certain point. Remember, this is partially a sandbox game; the idea is that you go from scrounging to survive early on to eventually becoming more competent, able to produce anything you need from your high-tech 3D Printer.

I think that that's a good thing -- the game's challenges change, they don't always remain the same. I would be extremely disappointed if I was still farming monsters for pixels in later areas just like I was in early areas.

(That said, the underlying issue might be the pixel system, so you might want to see my suggestion here, which could fix this. Having multiple colors of pixels would allow for "rare" pixels to stay rare while allowing you to convert common or older ore into pixels that can produce more decorative or basic equipment.)

7. orma

orma Subatomic Cosmonaut

The only time I needed to use the Refinery was to make drills. They are quite expensive... but at this time you get so much diamond ore, pixels are no longer a problem.

8. reebook

reebook Space Hobo

agree ,

no one force you to use refinery , i don't even have it because its simpler to kill mobs than to waste precious ores

9. Fezul

Fezul Void-Bound Voyager

Huh... i had serious issues with pixels when i was crafting robot. and later knight armor. Refinery saved me.
    Someone have a good luck with pixel finding. I dont.

10. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

It's actually really simple, just circumnavigate some planets or go on a massive killing spree, let the bloodlust take over and before you know it you will be swimming in pixels, no refinery needed.

11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You should go underground to find pixels. Massive cave networks literally have thousands.

12. Meanbeans

Meanbeans Star Wrangler

I'm more wondering about the compressor.. I'm not sure I really see the point of it.

13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Compressor is just a method for people who die often to save a bit more money then they would have lost.
    By having compressor + refinery it essentially negates any sort of punishment.

14. MiniKnog Agent

I'd love to time how long it takes you to get 100.000 pixels through killing vs. how long it takes to gather the ore and refine it.

15. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

You're not the only one, I don't see the point myself, just play smart and don't die.

16. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

Pretty sure when the builders hit the late stage of the game and are going to be wanting to spend hoards of pixels on printing thousands of objects through the 3D printer, it'll seem like a necessity. Right now it wouldn't make any sense not to have it though, until the sell system is in play we're not making pixels very efficiently any other way (until you're at a point where they don't matter). Think they said they're trying to balance for where they want the game to end up, including content that isn't in yet, rather than focusing on balancing what little we have now. Certainly will be an issue that'll need to be revisited once the content is fleshed out more. Remember there's only 4 tiers of content in, all of the other prices/unlocks are place holders. Considering how price scales between the first couple tiers, I imagine the game will be quite expensive by tier 10.

I'm of the mind that the valuable minerals (copper, silver, gold, plat, diamond) should have some sort of redeemable money value at all points in the game, so something will have to be worked out. I'm also of the mind that by the time I hit Sector X, my ship should look like Scrooge McDuck's vault.

17. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

You seem to be hung up on 6 digit pixel counts like that matters, I don't NEED 100k pixels so drop it.

CJx101 and XaoG like this.
  18. Aquillion

Aquillion Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Some people enjoy taking risks rather than constantly having to play absolutely-optimally, though. Constantly having to be optimal eventually becomes tedious rather than exciting.

Garatgh Deloi and XaoG like this.
  19. MiniKnog Agent

What does this have to do with it? What are you trying to prove?

Whether or not you NEED the Pixels is irrelevant.

Show me that grinding is as fast as refining.

20. cuxman

cuxman Orbital Explorer

I don’t like pixels at all,
    but as resource for the printer its ok,

would be even better if the printer could scan ore and act like its own refinery.