1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED StarReader: Starbound Web-Based Player Save File Editor

Discussion in 'Other' started by Gear, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

StarReader Beta 6 (www.starreader.net)

Update 1/28/14 Beta 6

• Item Sharing (Exporting and Importing) In the "View More" section for every item there are now "export" and "import" buttons. Clicking export will give you a chunk of text representing that item. Clicking import will open a textbox where you can paste these codes to import the item into that slot.
    • Fixed bug where you couldnt add items to empty slots

Update 1/28/14 Beta 5
    • I purchased a domain name, go to http://www.starreader.net
    • New, more informative interface!
    • Fixed some bugs with large numbers being calculated incorrectly

Update 1/27/14 Beta 4C:

• Added the option to change your current and max health/energy/warmth/breath/hunger
    • Fixed some bugs related to editing items and their properties.

Update 1/26/14 Beta 4B:

• Updated for Furious Koala!

Please make backups before using this tool, i'm not responsible for lost saves.

How to Use:
    1. Exit Starbound

2. Upload a .player file from your Steam/steamapps/common/starbound/players folder
    3. MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR SAVE FILE, i'm not responsible for losing your save. Edit and Use at your own risk.
    4. Make changes
    5. Click save to get the link to your new save file
    6. Replace old .player file

Notice: Changes made to items are not yet saved, i'll be adding it soon.

Have fun! Please dont kill my bandwidth!

Hey guys, i'm making the first test version of my web-based save file parser available here:

Upload your .player save file and it will parse and output information about your character save.

A big thanks to @McSimp and his files on starbound save structure research, it really helped me fill in the blanks for the things I was missing.

Todo
    • Display the rest of the player data that is collected ( Health, blueprints, techs, etc)
    • Show Images for all Items
    • Show generated player image
    • Allow editing of all things
    This is my first forray into processing any kind of save file, please be gentle, constructive criticism welcome.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    comb, Lusfella, Trucider and 21 others like this.
  2. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

Editing player description would be great, is that a possibility?

3. Credey

Credey Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's possible, but I believe this is only for displaying information about a save.

4. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

player description is stored in the player save, so yeah, not a problem!

5. Pazius

Pazius Pangalactic Porcupine

Nope, that's what other players will say when they examine you
    [​IMG]

6. Credey

Credey Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I meant the save reader itself, it's only for looking at save file info. You can definitely change descriptors.

7. monkey93

monkey93 Void-Bound Voyager

lol

DatNob and TapTap like this.
  8. Kel^

Kel^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Very cool. I'd love to see this evolve into a fully fledged web-based save editor.

9. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's currently what i'm working on. I've successfully rebuilt a save file from parsed data, so my next step is to make editable forms for the items and see how that holds up when converting back to a save file.

I've heard the future save files will be based on BSON, so when that happens I have some cool ideas for character and item sharing i'd like to try. Until then i'm trying to focus on making a nice interface for editing and viewing!

10. Jecoconono

Jecoconono Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So where are you yet? If you haven't found a way, i know how to do it, but its kinda long and borring... basicaly get all the items and put em in all slots, save the placement and all...

11. stumblinbear

stumblinbear Cosmic Narwhal

Can't wait for this :3

12. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've added the ability to edit your pixels, character name, uuid and some pretty-ness updates.

Please make backups before using this tool, i'm not responsible for lost saves.

Editing your items is currently non-functionable, but you can see the interactions for when they do. That'll be in soon, probably.

Have fun! Please dont kill my bandwidth!

13. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Somehow I forgot to add the player description editor, thats working now too!

14. CrownFox

CrownFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mangles your save data at the moment:

Code:
    PlayerException: No such stored player with uuid
    '4d82230a88575d1e5a3de90d669f28a3'

15. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can you tell me what changes you made?

16. CrownFox

CrownFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just changed the description. However, I tossed it in again, changed the name instead, and it still came out non-working.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks, definitely see the bug there.

I've made some changes, can you see if its still an issue?

18. RandonPeerson

RandonPeerson Space Hobo

Editing description doesn't botch my save, but I can't seem to add more items to my char. I tried changing the number of silver I had and it just said "you haven't made any changes." Am I doing something incorrect?

19. Gear

Gear Subatomic Cosmonaut

You're not doing anything wrong, the item editing isn't available until i get around to it later tonight.

20. RandonPeerson

RandonPeerson Space Hobo

Oh. Alrighty then. Can't wait.