1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Cannot connect to my friends server.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Pyro1070, Dec 6, 2013.

1. ErenJaeger

ErenJaeger Intergalactic Tourist

2. HikkiAyuLion

HikkiAyuLion Orbital Explorer

THIS!!! IS MY SOLUTION TO YOUR GUYZ'Z SAMEZ'Z'Z'z'z'Z'Z's'S's!!!

My friend was having this same problem.

Programs like Hamachi and Evolve weren't a very convenient option because our group consists of 8+ individuals, and it would be tedious for all to download a client and go through the server joining steps just for one person having trouble in the first place...

We were confident that the firewall wasn't an issue. It's never been an issue before and it usually gives a notification when it's blocking an application.

SOLVED: She plays on a laptop, so we went ahead and had her disconnect from her internet, and reconnect (wireless). At the same time, on the starbound launcher, there are three buttons at the bottom: "Launch Starbound," "Launch Starbound (Open GL)," and "Launch Starbound Server." Normally she would select Launch Starbound, but this time she chose the "Launch Starbound (Open GL) option." And, by miracle of Kluex or God or whoever, she was finally able to connect! So simply put, my suggestions is one of the following or both:
    • Disconnect from the internet (wireless, or unplug your ethernet cable)
    • Launch Starbound (Open GL)
    Hope this helps some peeps!

3. Veraal Fins

Veraal Fins Big Damn Hero

Make sure you've got the recent 584 MB patch that came out today, else you'll get mismatch errors.
    The best way to be sure is to restart steam and see if Starbound starts updating.

4. ErenJaeger

Nothing happen same as usual

5. letifarz

letifarz Space Hobo

I was having a similar issue hosting a server from my desktop. It worked fine before the most recent update.

Something about the update changed the Windows Firewall rules for the Starbound server application (I'm on Windows 8.1). I removed all rules related to Starbound, restarted my server, re-added the rules to Windows Firewall, and everything worked again. My friends were able to connect. Hope this helps.

6. ErenJaeger

I USING norton internet security i don know how to re-added rules maybe u can post a video of this ?
    Im window 8.1 too but im a laptop.

7. ErenJaeger

Or can you tell me what is the direction example open firewall then do what etc. thanks.
    EDIT : Just brought my laptop so i don know how use window 8 so irritating.

8. ErenJaeger

Ok when i allow a app to firewall i can't find starbound when i want to add please direct me thanks.:viking:

9. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky Space Hobo

I was having the same problem, except I couldn't access the browser or any other internet related thing. So my dad stayed up till 1AM trying to figure it out, but couldn't, the next day I did a system refresh (windows 8) and it worked fine after that! Hope this helps. I suggest making a copy of your player files because it will delete all your apps. (steam, google chrome, minecraft etc.) I only recommend this is an extreme measure because of all the things it deletes.

10. simplegamer

simplegamer Big Damn Hero

i have the same problem none of my friends can connect to my server and i cant even connect to my own and id rather not use Hamachi or Evolve so help

11. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky Space Hobo

Are you using the right ip address? And is your server LAN or a premium/payed one?

12. FluxDigital

FluxDigital Sandwich Man

Did you port forward properly? It would work fine if you did.

13. simplegamer

yes i have my server was wroking fine since beta release but then a day ago it just stopped working

14. CrimsonSky

CrimsonSky Space Hobo

Can you use the internet at all? Or is it just your server?

15. simplegamer

yes i can its just the server thats not working

16. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Chances are her wired connection is on a different subnet than the wireless connection. Not sure why, but that would be the only reason why it matters.
    OpenGL is a way for a computer to speak with a graphics card, it doesn't really interact with anything network-y.

17. simplegamer

still no clue why my server wont work

18. Katorone

You're not really giving much information for people to be able to help you ...

19. simplegamer

well its working now :/ thanks for being willing to help people :) still wish i knew why it stopped workin.

20. Katorone

If it's off and on you'll need to check the "moving parts", which are probably your internal IP address or your external IP address.
    The external IP address, nothing you can do about that really, just get your new IP out there. Your internal address you can make fixed in numerous ways. All this just in case you encounter problems again.