1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Phyrewall

Phyrewall Pangalactic Porcupine

Strange, maybe I'm just lucky. Then again, my PC is a bit "beasty".

Code:
    Enclosure:      Cooler Master HAF922
    Processor:      3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4770K
    Cooler:                COOLER MASTER V6 GT
    MainBoard:      Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) 1.0
    PSU:            KingWin LZ-1000 1000watt
    Optical Drive:  LG Bluray Writer HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH16NS40
    Main OS Drive:  ADATA SX900 SSD (128.04 GB)
    Storage (RAID 1) :      WDC WD10EADS-22M2B0 (1000.20 GB) & WDC WD10EARS-00MVWB0 (1000.20 GB)
    Game (RAID 0) :        WDC WD6400AAKS-65Z7B0 (640.13 GB) & WDC WD6400AAKS-65Z7B0 (640.13 GB)
    Installed Memory:      16Gb (4x4Gb) G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series
    Graphics:      2x MSI GeForce GTX N770 Twin Frozr Gaming OC 2Gb (SLI)
    Monitors:      3x BenQ XL2720T (27.2"vis, s/n R3D08124SL0, March 2013)
                            1x Yamakasi DUAL-DVI Ultra-HD (27.2"vis, October 2011)
                    NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D USB controller
    Monitor Stand:  Widescreen Gaming Foundation 1 over 3
    Audio:          SB Recon3D PCIe Audio Controller
                    Logitech 430 5.1 Speakers
    NIC:            Killer e2200 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20) #2
    Periph:        Logitech G15 Keyboard
                    Razer Mamba Wireless mouse
                    Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710
                    Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
                    Semper 3.5" Multifunctional Front Panel USB 3.0 SDHC/SDXC Card Reader
    Fans:          CoolerMaster Sickleflow 120mm
                    3x CoolerMaster Megaflow 200mm Red LED
    Picture Album:  http://imgur.com/a/ADYuf#0

2. Jafu

Jafu Orbital Explorer

Having the same issues on my high end rig. It runs fine on the ship, but as soon as I beam down the fps drops considerably. I'd love to provide some feedback on the actual game, but so far it's not playable for me yet.

3. 2Rare2Care

2Rare2Care Intergalactic Tourist

They should definitely work on not only optimizing the game but also allowing you to change the graphical settings first. I imagine it isn't that hard to set that sort of thing up but I dont know much about coding and such.

4. videogames

videogames Master Chief

ive had the same problems as everybody else, running on Nvidia, also having it run on cores helps but it is not ever over 30 fps

5. Odium

Odium Space Hobo

Can definitely confirm this works (for me)! THANKS! Flawless now!

6. Illumina

Illumina Void-Bound Voyager

None of the fixes have had that silver bullet effect for me so far.
    Single core playing is still pretty bad and I think its just causing more errors.

7. theexero

theexero Void-Bound Voyager

All the solutions solved most of the lag but dungeons are still very laggy plus i get random lag every now and then. Still it's only stage 1 i'm sure they will fix it soon.

8. Semus

Semus Star Wrangler

What zoom levels are all of you running?

From what I can tell, if I run at zoom level 3 or 4, my FPS is great with some slowdowns when trees fall or a lot of things are happening.

If I use zoom level 2, my FPS starts to dip into the 30's. It's not unplayable, but it's definitely lower than normal.

System:

i7 2600K at 4GHZ
    GTX 760
    128GB SSD X2
    Sabertooth motherboard
    2560x1440 resolution on dual monitors

9. joulesFect

joulesFect Subatomic Cosmonaut

Same problem here

i5-2500k at 3.3GHz
    4GB of RAM
    GTX 570

Lags horribly, then frame rate comes up to like 50-60 and sometimes down to 10-25...

The common denominator here seems to be Nvidia cards, but I have no clue what the problem could be...

Also, my game take sooo long to open up. I swear it take at least 2 full minutes to get passed the chucklefish logo...

10. Illumina

This happened.
    [​IMG]

Whats relevant is when the top box happened, my game proceeded to run at full speed although I could not break blocks.

Clicking OK on the next few just cause a total crash.

Incidentally I'm not sure the anyone who is getting over 20 FPS need apply to this thread.
    We get it, you got an alienware and are cooling it with antimatter laced with cheetah blood and expect more.

11. pzetts

pzetts Space Hobo

I was able to speed it up a little by forcing V-Sync off in my NVIDIA control panel. What are you all using to check how many FPS you are getting?

Edit: I did the run as administrator and changed the opengl file name and got much better performance so I turned v-sync back on since it was tearing.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. KoolaidLegend

KoolaidLegend Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks to all of you that recommended to disable the compatibility settings and run as administrator!
    Run's ridiculously smoother now!

13. IISethII

IISethII Space Spelunker

Hey i tried this one but then started getting access violation errors =( back to square one for me =(

14. SpringbokXD

SpringbokXD Void-Bound Voyager

I have a Intel i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHZ 2.00 GHZ 8.00 GB ram with a AMD Radeon HD 6800 and i went to the properties of Steam and made sure none of the compatibility things were checked, and then did the .exe change thing to make sure open_gl was the main .exe and also made sure to run the new .exe as admin and now im having perfect frame rates. before the changes i made i was having like 10 fps but now im ranging from a stead 50-60 fps even in combat

15. Epaf

Epaf Aquatic Astronaut

fixed for me ... 20 --> 60fps

16. Illumina

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

17. TheHolyInvader

TheHolyInvader Lucky Number 13

Did it for me, worked like cake, running it at 60 now, smooth as silk
    GAS PLANET STEAM ITS ALL YOUR FAULT.

18. joulesFect

OMG ! That last trick did it for me ! Thank you sooo much ! Runs smooth as hell even at 2x zoom level... Freaking steam running compatibility mode without me even knowing about it ! Dang it !

19. eelmcd

eelmcd Big Damn Hero

That was it! Smooth as butter!

20. joulesFect

A question for you guys : Is your game long to boot up ? It takes quite some time for the game window to pop up and some more time before I'm in the ingame menu... Just wondering if that's normal...