Being able to have my character get better, not just the gear

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Zygrograxgra, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Zygrograxgra

Zygrograxgra Over 9000!!!

To me, it's a really big thing when I feel like I'm getting stronger and more skilled, and not just me finding a better rifle.
    My idea here is skills and such, which would increase through some method, such as training, use, or level ups. Equipment would become less of a deciding factor and the game would be paced a bit slower, so you can't just have your friend throw you all the best stuff and expect to be a juggernaut right away.
    Say you have two characters, each with the same rifle. The first one has a low skill with that weapon's category, and the second has a high skill.
    The second one would out perform the first one in most occasions, with things like higher accuracy and damage and the like.
    It'd be similar to in Fallout or Oblivion. You can wield and wear what ever you like, but it wouldn't be as effective unless you train in its use.
    Of course, the way you get better at each skill depends on the feel of the game.

2. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

ehhhhhh....
    Its like terraria, gear based.
    But I would imagine a good amount of skill to the point where I (or someone else) can take on 100 people and not get hit while butt naked with only a flint pistol and a rusty butterknife.
    Of course, this is highly un-likely..

3. Modest

Modest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I also like the idea of improving my character by gaining new skills (or upgrading old ones). In my opinion it would be far better than having only better gear... BUT! But in my opinion it should never lead to the point that other player is without chances of winning against me only because of my character's skills. Equipment should have much greater impact on the qameplay in my opinion.

Ricky150 likes this.
  4. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

So you want an XP system for certain items?

5. Zygrograxgra

That is a possible system that could be used, items getting stronger the more they're used.

6. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

No xp system. Well for cool super powers would be cool.
    Woo fire breath going old school!
    (speaking of which today was my last day as a highcshool freshman!)

7. Zygrograxgra

I'm generally not for XP, which is why I merely said items getting better as you use them

rafeu and MurkyDragon like this.
  8. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

So gear based but be able to upgrade gear?
    This would work.
    No two items the same would be nice. Borderlands FTW!

9. Zygrograxgra

It would remain gear based, and players like me would feel like they're getting more powerful. It's a good compromise.

MurkyDragon likes this.
  10. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I'd rather it be like me and you have same gear and are same level but I upgraded and enhanced mine to be better than yours and suit my role.
    Which would be a Gunslinger

11. Shahab

Shahab Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i would like it more simple.
    like the more you use a weapon the better it gets.
    also upgrading the weapon in the lab.

12. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

I'd rather avoid traditional XP and level-upping. But like I've already mentioned somewhere, some subtle improvement of inherent character abilities like jumping height, accuracy with firearms (which I hope won't be very accurate in every case, no matter flintlock to sniper rifle) etc as per rewards from quests would be nice.

Cacame likes this.
  13. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

I wouldn't mind weapon proficiency, such as, char 1 has 50 rifle proficiency, but char 2 has 0. Char 1 would have some kind of perk for this, maybe slightly better recoil recovery, or some such thing that don't give HUGE advantages, but a small edge.

14. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

I'm hoping this WILL use the better equipment method instead of skills and such like the game series Monster Hunter.
    You can be the worst player ever with a high skill level by slaying the weakest enemy forever, but you need to be good to slowly gain more and more powerful equipment,
    which is more effective overall proved via monster hunter.

15. mark baldwin

mark baldwin Void-Bound Voyager

only way i could support an xp system would be
    for example
    at level 5 double jump would unlock
    at level 10 crawl would unlock (allowing for only 2 squares needed to be minded side ways)
    at level 15 swim would unlock (basic slow speed) enough to stay on top of water.
    "use of these just for example"
    where it didnt matter how high your xp got only something that would help over all play would be unlocked rather then strength or dex or stronger weps

16. Daston

Daston Space Penguin Leader

the more you use the weapon the more familiar you get with it so it is more effective in your hands. I also support upgrading my guns in the way that if i add better barrel my rifle gets better effective range or ect, and of course silencers, scopes other things.

MurkyDragon likes this.
  17. starman

starman Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am completely against an XP/skill lvl system in starbound. it too RPG-like.
    The main reason I don't want this system is because of the need to grind to have any kind of worth while proficiency.
    also it has a severe punishment to players that want to start a new game, as the time spent to level up skills would be lost.

Not trying to offend anyone here, but I'm just trying to get you to consider the detrimental effects that RPG elements can have on a game like starbound.
    hopefully (and probably...) there would be some clevercog in the community that would mod RPG elements like this into the game,
    but I'm sorry but I'm just not comfortable with them in the core mechanics of the game.

18. Cacame

Cacame Phantasmal Quasar

I'd support small buffs with higher proficency, it's not like it would turn the game into a grindfest, just some simple improvements that make life a little easier in the late game.

19. Username5679

Username5679 Guest

Maybe along with skills, there could be some sort of quests that raise the skills a couple of levels, so that quests are better worth doing.

first post yay

Cloakedboltz likes this.
  20. NotAnAnon

NotAnAnon Subatomic Cosmonaut

So it would be kind of like borderlands where you would have skills go up for weapons, lvl, and skills.

Cronos and MurkyDragon like this.