1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Character Deletion backup?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SuperNinjaMan97, Nov 1, 2013.

1. SuperNinjaMan97

SuperNinjaMan97 Orbital Explorer

For all those people scared about their character getting deleted during stage 1 of beta, wouldn't there be a file stored on your computer with your worlds and characters stored in it? for example 'Terraria' stored its characters and worlds in the 'My Games' folder on your computer, wouldn't 'Starbound' have something similar and all you would have to do is locate the file and back it up every time you finish playing, therefore if your character gets deleted, you can just restore the backup to the game files again.
    Hope this helped some people.

Bandethor likes this.
  2. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Won't do you any good if the file isn't compatible with the new version.

3. SuperNinjaMan97

SuperNinjaMan97 Orbital Explorer

True, but if the character gets deleted in an update that, for example adds some new planets or items, nothing that would really effect the character itself but it still got deleted, then wouldn't you be able to use a backup?

4. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

Why would they delete characters in an update that doesn't affect characters?

HedgeFlanders and MDoubleM like this.
  5. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

The savegame wouldnt just get deleted in an update, it would simply become invalid due to being outdated and not useable anymore because something changed. So you can make as many backups as you want, they wouldnt be useable with the later versions anymore ... given the case that such a mechanism would be used.

Edit:
    Also nobody said that every update HAS to make older savegames invalid. There simply is a chance that some updates require them to do so ... and i guess it would be noted somewhere in the patchnotes that older saves will become invalid.

6. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

In Beta, of all things, whether or not your character retains stuff is irrelevant. What IS relevant though is that the code work efficiently, so it does not happen say when the full game is released.

Plus, you lose what? 3 tiers of equipment? 3 out of 10, you'll be making that back in a day at most, if determined.

Green Causali-Tea likes this.
  7. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

The way I see it is this: Beta is not for enjoyment. That's just a fun side effect that we testers get. Beta exists to hunt down and brutally destroy flaws within the system. If you are truly afraid of losing your hard earned characters, then wait for release, when that will no longer be a risk.

8. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

they should make it so in beta you could strip your char of his gear and transfer it to another char when that one gets currupted

9. Felonious

Felonious Existential Complex

Why? What's special about the gear? What if it's the gear that is changed or destroyed?

The argument itself is invalid, as Tiy already warned Beta Stage 1 testers that there's a risk of losing characters. If you play in stage one, it's a risk you're willing to take.

Auudar likes this.
  10. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

A lot of people don't understand quite how this works. The reason this usually happens with single-player is because the developers change the way the save file works, add or remove information, or change the way it's compressed/encrypted/organized. It's not that your save file was deleted, it's just that it's no longer worth anything. In MMORPG's it's done to make the game fair on launch, of course, but that isn't as a big of an issue. That said, if the devs wanted to delete your saves, you couldn't just make a backup. They'd just change information in the save file and it won't work anymore.

It's like if I change the language of an essay you wrote from English to Latin. Yea, your essay still exists, and all the information is still there, but it's no longer readable.

11. Bandethor

Bandethor Pangalactic Porcupine

the only reason I would like to backup anything on beta is incase it got deleted due to something other than an update if I got off the game and when I got back on to test some more and my save was gone I could just start it with the back up

12. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

The code can change, breaking the old chars, unless you want to go fix your char, then your restarting....

Someone MAY make a Converter, but it would require constant updates to stay up to date with Starbound, and would probably be dropped...

13. Green Causali-Tea

Green Causali-Tea Industrial Terraformer

Thank you for defending the beta-is-beta point. It's important to keep perspective and it pains me to see people not understanding that the purpose of a beta is to fix bugs. I'm eager as anything and have stated elsewhere, "Bugs don't bug me." I mean I'm not afraid to lose my gear, my characters, my worlds, my progress. Losing is fun. In this case, it's because every time I lose something, that means something has been fixed. The released edition gets better every time.

Everyone who complains about the beta should keep in mind that the purpose of lodging complaints during a beta is to improve the quality of the release. It's a good thing when things go wrong for the beta tester. Bad is good for the beta player!

14. White935

White935 Big Damn Hero

sadly, alot of develoupers release beta as "early access" and " try it first here, while we sort some last adjustments" alot of people simply think this is a free game test, and many wont report bugs they've found if we look on how other beta tests are done. hopefully everyone will pitch in and understand, that your purpose of phase 1 is to attempt to do anything you can do to break the game. try stacking a tower, beam, up to your ship while getting crushed by blocks, and see if you manage to crash the client. you did? good now give the intel to the devs.

15. Tyrindor

Tyrindor Space Kumquat

The only time they are going to wipe characters is when a update affects them or they change the way characters are saved. Obviously, any out of date character the game will refuse to load - backed up or not. Backing up characters to try to bypass this system doesn't really make much sense.

Why is it I have this feeling the beta is going to piss off a lot of people that don't understand what beta is for. Tiy even clearly described the tiers and what's going to happen, and why you should/shouldn't play them.

If you want to play for enjoyment, wait for Stage 3 as suggested!

Jonesy likes this.
  16. Bandethor

Bandethor Pangalactic Porcupine

I have been alpha and beta testing for around 8 years if not longer I understand how all this works but being able to back up if it was possible would be handy in some ways to the test as well what I would like to know is about just back up in general like if my file some how gets deleted I could back it up and keep going till the next patch or what ever

17. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

If anything, its not even a risk. You should play a beta with the full knowledge that youll lose your characters... probably because they suddenly decided to become a rocketship, without building a rocketship.

18. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

Two things could happen to save files multiple times during beta:
    1. They become incompatible with the game due to changes.
    2. they become corrupted due to bugs.

For 1, having a backup will not help.
    For 2, having a backup definitely helps.

SuperNinjaMan97 likes this.
  19. Xelaoac

Xelaoac Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well If you have Steam you can choose to have Steam backup your files as well. The program does a pretty good job with most games though I am not 100% if that can apply to BETAS or Starbound at this point in time.