Starbound Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by se7en, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se7en

se7en Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is it gonna be multiplayer like in every "online" game? or more like "terraria" (host on ur own machine to play with others) ?

edit:
    and how about items and things u collect?
    when i read "beta news", there are something like possibility to "delete" saves.
    all items are stored locally or on ur servers?

2. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Uhhh... Ughh.... ehhh...

3. se7en

ty for very informative reply!

Chaftix likes this.
  4. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Your welcome.

*Search bar is forever alone :(*

5. se7en

if ure so clever, use it and then answer my question, since i didnt find what i were looking for

Chaftix likes this.
  6. WolfMimir

WolfMimir Subatomic Cosmonaut

its like terraria

7. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

All the answers to those are already out there, well maybe not to the last question.
    The multiplayer will be like Terraria, or so they said months ago.
    Saves are local, yet I think I read about a certain server option that makes them serverside, like, you can only play them on that server so you can't bring old characters to it. I could be wrong

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

1. Multiplayer is comparable to Terraria. There is both single and multiplayer.

2. A lot of items will appear in the game. Hundreds, if not thousands. Some are even randomly generated.

3. In Stage 1 of the beta, it will be very unstable and may lead to deletion of save files. This will not be the case with Stage 2 onwards.

4. I imagine item saves would be local, though later down the track there may be an option for server-side ones.

KirasiN likes this.
  9. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

I just hope "comparable to Terraria" doesn't mean I need to be able to configure ports in my router. I spent ages trying to get that to work for Terraria, and never succeeded. I simply lack the know-how to set up a server, apparently. And if Starbound doesn't make it easier it's not like I'll never play online, plenty of other people will have servers, I'd just also like to host my own shiz! ^^

10. Jonesy

I believe they are trying to make it as easy as possible, more so than Terraria I hear.

11. Malcara

Malcara Star Wrangler

I hope its easier than terraria. Having to install that 3rd party program was the only way i could get it to work and that was iffy. LAN was fine but otherwise i felt terraria wasnt designed to have a multiplayer.

12. se7en

but its kinda bad, since ppl can bring "someones" items to cheat ... or even copy saves to copy items...

and multiplayer on LAN or internet ?

13. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

You can't not have LAN servers if you have a server client.

14. Jonesy

Both.

15. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

that's always an issue with sandboxes though, worrying about such things won't do any good.

procedural generation kinda prevents you from getting the exact same items every time though, so it just comes down to skill.

16. lyrael_rayne

lyrael_rayne Big Damn Hero

Worry less about how others play the game. Enjoy the game your way. If someone's cheating, avoid them. It's a huuuugge universe out there. Shouldn't be as much of a problem as it might have been in Terraria.

17. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Please do more then make Onamonapias when replying.

The answers you want are all over the forum if you give them a look, and it seems several are already answered here.

Going to go ahead and lock this.

Jonesy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.