How the Beta is going to work

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

They do not need the beta.

2. Woodland

Woodland Big Damn Hero

If possible, I'd love to see about getting into the stage 1 beta.

I'm still gonna assume that a mouse would be lightyears better than a mousepad for this game?

3. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

They definitely do need the beta. There's a reason that developers open up a beta to a wider group of people, and that's because it's a critical stage for finding bugs caused by unusual hardware configurations, and that people tend to play games in all kinds of weird and wonderful ways, finding bugs that the devs would never have considered if they'd worked on it for another ten years.

They're hardly going to compromise their development process for something as petty as punishing impatience.

4. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Beta is only the bait. Because of most of these "testers" as we have no use. The testers - it's a profession.

5. Heinous

Heinous Void-Bound Voyager

You can count me in at stage 1. Bug hunting is fun. It's like a game within a game. Ultimately, it makes the game better though and can give a good perspective from those not involved with the development ... it's like having a person critique something you wrote. A fresh set of eyes can help iron things out.

6. DeathBySnuSnu

DeathBySnuSnu Void-Bound Voyager

Ahh great!

It's nice to see movement forward! Even without a date this is great news for people interested in the game. Nice job listening to your communities complaints and flipping out and giving us some great information.

7. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

It's a profession eh?

This Phrase rings true for this, We say it alot on my line of work in a slightly different way too;

Why pay someone to do a task when you have a loyal and strong fanbase there to do the task for you and with much better accuracy.
    Its a win win situation.

Colton likes this.
  8. Yanazake

Yanazake Space Kumquat

You know, this will actually work like skyrim to me. My first character barely reached level twenties because i used it to learn about the game [and how to mod it]. :fusrodah:

So, i'd better join beta 1 anyway to get used to the game, and make a really random [and specially ugly] character. Maybe Glitch or Apex, or even human... I dunno, i'll leave the races i want the most to play as for phase 3.

So, i see you work at Bethesda...

9. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Yes, profession, people need to be able to find the bug and write a competent and useful report. And do not scream "This thing does not work." People earn money doing tests.

10. PhancyBear

PhancyBear Subatomic Cosmonaut

So excited to be a part of helping make the best game ever:)

11. Heinous

I'm sure there are enough competent testers in the fan base to make this a valid beta. The issue will come with the devs having to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to feedback.

Colton likes this.
  12. CrimsonWingzz

CrimsonWingzz Pangalactic Porcupine

Great, now what?

13. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

I do not think so, the majority just want to get the game as soon as possible. I knew people who tried, for that reason, get into the development team.

14. Odino_o

Odino_o Void-Bound Voyager

I would like to wait past stage 1, but I don't think I can do it :(

15. Bethor

Bethor Big Damn Hero

/me jumps on the hypewagon

Silver86 likes this.
  16. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

It's true that a lot of people playing the beta will have no interest in being involved with the bughunting, but there will still be a significant number who will. Or are you expecting that this is all some ruse, and that there will actually be a (secret) paid beta separate from this where the real bughunting will take place? Why would they do that?

I'm also confused about why you think the beta is 'bait'? Seems to me they've already hooked a significant number of people, with a couple of mil in pre-orders.

17. Heinous

It's the path they are choosing though. I'm not going to concern myself with it at this point. I'll just provide the best feedback that I can. The devs can worry about the rest.

18. suitedbullets

suitedbullets Orbital Explorer

I love the X/Y reference.... Cause that's me!

19. Chucklehead

Chucklehead Subatomic Cosmonaut

What?! Beta is almost ready?! image.jpg

Deleted some of the images, one is more than enough ;)
    - TvK

20. EntranceJew

EntranceJew Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds very exciting. Any idea as to what bug tracker you're going to use? Bugzilla? FogBugz? Hopefully not a forum thread? Quality bug reports and management begin with a quality (or, at least operable) bug tracker.

Heinous likes this.