Ship AI (Artificial Intelligence) as Guide and Virtual Assistant

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Gene, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Gene

Gene Phantasmal Quasar

Many video games (as well books, movies, and other media) feature spaceship AIs which are core to the story immersion. Here are some immediately recognized examples:

GlaDOS.jpg Shodan.jpg HAL9000.jpg

All of the above AIs constituted a fundamental part of the story they were part of.

As well, topics such as this one show the problem of not having a dedicated NPC guide character - it can leave new players without direction. Sure, you can add visual popups telling players what to do, but they would be that much more immersive if told by an in-game NPC rather than float "in thin air", which feels like "out of game" in comparison.

Imagine that, instead of some abstract popups, you are greeted by a friendly and personal AI, which guides you step by step through what you need to do to get started. AIs would have a personality based on the ship it comes from (which would also match the player race, since your starting ship is exclusively based on your starting race). Their reply text would be based on that personality:

Glitch:

ai_glitch.jpg

Hylotl:

ai_hylotl.jpg

Beyond being your guide, your ship's AI can be your companion and virtual assistant. It could manage your active quest list, navigational markers, telemetry. It could even offer ideas on where you should go next based on your needs, or give you warnings to avoid dangerous actions:

landing_warning.jpg

Finally, your AI can be your friend! And unlike other NPC friends you could meet on planets, your AI would be the only NPC which actually stays with you the whole game as you move from planet to planet. Especially in single-player games where you have no other real people to interact with, I wouldn't be surprised if players formed a close friendship bond with their Ship's AI. :love:

love.jpg

Well... At least for some AI types ;)

love_undefined.jpg

Feedback and improvement suggestions welcome!

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

3. NightFire

NightFire Parsec Taste Tester

As much as I would love to see Siris amazing responses implemented there's really no need for an AI unless you plan to use it to surf the intergalactic web

The only reason I would need a AI in Starbound is to make it take over the world and control all the Glitches

Clockwork likes this.
  4. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Yeah like nightfire said, what's the point?

Personally I don't think there should be ANY characters which are forced into being with you.

Farathil likes this.
  5. NightFire

[​IMG]

Jayfeather, linkthegamer, Maw and 5 others like this.
  6. sethbourgeois

sethbourgeois Void-Bound Voyager

Why was the robot A.I. all... Robot like, surely they should be all knights of round table and stuff.

7. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG] You missed one. EDI! <3

I would enjoy an AI who tells me the name of a planet and the species of animals, temperature, what race owns the planet if any. It would be pretty neato, helps with immersion :p . Yeah though we don't want another Navi. Maybe toggle-able? :idea:

8. master1237

master1237 Big Damn Hero

I will never understand how Navi was annoying she said hey listen once every 5 minutes and that's only when you weren't on the main quest or lost.

9. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Weirdly enough, i dont agree with Clockwork and would like to see this ingame O_O.

10. NightFire

The only reason you want to see this in the game is because it's cool and yea ill agree it would be fun to have another bot with horrible speech recognition on a game but the only reason we don't like it is because it serves 0 purpose to have. You really would never need this EVER because even if you wanted to just use it to travel to planets all it's going to tell you is what you already know or see on the screen.

11. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

By your logic, what purpose does being able to play music has? Dude, its a sandbox. Little details like this make the game better, overall if they re optional...

Avialle and Farathil like this.
  12. NightFire

being able to create music gives a place atmosphere

13. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

And this wouldnt give atmosphere because of? I mean, i like the idea of an AI telling me stuff, i mean, its the future! Who even reads anymore?

Avialle and Farathil like this.
  14. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I believe this man has a point. I suggested some time ago implementing more cannibalistic Florans like eating people.
    It was shot down, but people did agree I had a point. The little things make you smile and makes life worth while as they say.

15. NightFire

I don't want to say he doesn't understand what I mean by it has no point but let me just say florans being cannibalistic has a point and affects your gameplay but AI's cannot really alter or change gameplay unless you use your mic to talk to them and don't say ERMERGERD NIGHT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!! Because all the AI does is tell you something that you could of easily already read by looking to the right and in the end you're reading something either way and it doesn't impact my experience so IN MY OPINION there would be no need of an AI because I can just figure it out by looking in another direction rather than at Jarvis

16. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Maybe just use the best of both worlds and instead of the ship itself telling you your landing on a jungle biome, and it's a level 3 planet. Have a "AI" tell you.
    Also I understand completely notice how I liked one of your posts. :p

17. NightFire

I'm not saying YOU don't understand nor am I trying to emit that I'm just trying to compare something that does something benefitful(or negatively in a fun way aka cannabalisim) and something that does absolutely nothing aka Jarvis (don't bring iron mans suit into this because that would be a entirely different story)

Farathil likes this.
  18. mivader

mivader Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd like seeing this as an upgrade to your ship so it doesn't seem like you are being forced (As stated above) into having a partner. *COUGH NAVI COUGH*

Farathil likes this.
  19. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

It was just redundant. Every you try to do something Navi knows about, she needs to tell you about it. I played through the game like 15 times. I don't need a glowing bug to tell me how to pick up a pot anymore.

Farathil likes this.
  20. HedgeFlanders

HedgeFlanders Big Damn Hero

I think this would be a pretty cool idea.