1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

An improvement to ship labels.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZangooseSlash, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Curse Starwind

Curse Starwind Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, i'm glad to see that this obvious text mode is most likely not what will be in the game. Since it was ugly. (No offense.)

Serenity likes this.
  2. Pancoar

Pancoar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty much perfect... Love you RoR guys. So much.

3. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

All of this. Also, I would suggest moving things around and messing with the appearance. I would expect the fuel to be somewhere near the engines on the rear of the ship. Plus, since it's not running on gas, the opening should probably be a bit bigger. Meanwhile, make the locker taller so you can easily tell it apart from the fuel duct.

4. Monkeybiscuit

Monkeybiscuit Phantasmal Quasar

Another idea; just disable the teleporter until the locker has been emptied. Once the player has realized where the locker, fuel tank etc they won't need additional reminders for a lesson that only needs be learned once.

Edit: I see someone already suggested this. Great minds and all that!

Ah well, here is my +1 to that idea.

5. OnyxTortoise

OnyxTortoise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Copy from my other post:

6. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Love the emblem idea also hopoo's solution is pretty good. I agree text looks like something from idiocracy.

7. Karth

Karth Pangalactic Porcupine

I wouldn't mind one of the two following solutions:

1. Make the labels a decorative item you can remove, and place elsewhere if you like.

2. Make the labels disappear after completing the tutorial tier.

Ghard0157 likes this.
  8. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Yo nazi floran check these earlier posts.

9. systoll

systoll Aquatic Astronaut

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is simply the positioning of the locker. At the moment, IIRC, you spawn in the middle of the ship. You then have to go right for the locker, then back to the left to port out. Given that "grab stuff from locker -> leave" and "come back -> put stuff in locker" would seem to be core workflows, this is needlessly convoluted. Putting the locker on the left forces people to walk past it to get out.

Also... the current locker doesn't really look like one... may as well use the whole space to make the idea clear. [though, perhaps a different locking mechanism would be more appropriate, lore wise, than this]

[​IMG]

10. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

Serenity likes this.
  11. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Some great art suggestions in here, this looks awesome man

12. Natanael

Natanael Master Chief

Make the signs a customisable Item. So you can delete and even reuse them. Cant be too hard to code.

Ghard0157 likes this.
  14. M0du5

M0du5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How about disabling both the "beam" and the travel systems until the player completes the locker quest. Simply make it so that the only thing a player can do is complete the quest to remove the items from the locker and equip them. Hell you could even add in another quest that reactivates the beam with something found in the locker.

DotBeta, steveman0 and Serenity like this.
  15. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Id say teh Text is fine as it is, but if they allowed us to selectively turn them off or on, so i could change my Ship Settings to only Show the "Beam" text, and not the other stuff, or only the "Locker" and "Beam" but nothing else...

Then the new people still can use them easily, and the peopele who have already played alot, can turn them off

16. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As I'm sure has been said before, I definitely do not want giant neon signs stuck to the back wall of my ship. At the very least they should be toggle-able, or at least removable. I don't like them and don't want to be stuck with them.

17. My recommendation is exactly that. If I think text is a better route than cluttering up the ships appearance then I'm gonna mention it.

18. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

Nice, I didn't think of the universal symbol idea, it works.

Awesome, hopefully there is some form of display for things like that, seems more space like.

Before I saw this thread I came up with the standard temporary hud/UI popup with a digital feel. I didn't bother filling in the info or making it a gif with the display effects the original post had, but you get the point.

[​IMG]

ZangooseSlash likes this.
  19. Spike

Spike Supernova

Well, how about having the words pop up only at the beginning of the tutorial, and have it vanish after the tutorial quest is complete?

20. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

To be fair, the guys at i49 playing this game had a limited amount of time to play, and we're probably excited to play. Don't fault them too much for missing explanations.