1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

An improvement to ship labels.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZangooseSlash, Sep 14, 2013.

1. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

[​IMG]
    I feel like "BEAM" should stay, but the fuel and locker are not needed.
    Instead of locker, I think a drawing of a lock on the ship's metal would look better, and a fuel tank for fuel.
    EDIT: forgive my drawing skills. I think the fuel tank and lock should appear to the right of the box you interact with, and it should be a small image.

2. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

I think a real easy solution to this would be to leave the text there, but make it possible to just delete it. Like you can move the locker and fuel as it is already, right? Why not just make the locker sign a different object so you can do whatever you want with it?

Cirom, Shippo, DeadlyLuvdisc and 12 others like this.
  3. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Holdup before we all start talking about this.
    Since this is fairly much the critical point of todays update, why not leave thoughts and ideas there? I mean we can talk about it here too.

Just if anyone pops in and sees this first, you may want to also leave some thoughts there as well.
    community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/13-september-update.29873/

4. ZangooseSlash

posted it to the thread

tassina and Xander like this.
  5. Miss Andry

I like it here better because I can still hang around the general discussion. Plus most people will just be saying "cool update" and "thanks" or something

6. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

I assure you everything is being considered. Symbols are being considered (and have even been drawn). I really want quest markers to be in the game (planned but not yet implemented). Some things are probably not going to happen (having two versions that you can switch in the options).

Text is just the overshooting overly obvious mode. Lets see where we go :p.

7. Cether

Cether Star Wrangler

I really don't like that text. I don't know, it makes the entire ship feel like a tutorial level. It might be okay for the first time I get on the ship, but it's really ugly and distracting, which is not what I want my base in space to look like. Why not just make it so when you scroll over said item a small bubble appears saying what it is?

Keeper, WoxandWarf and ZangooseSlash like this.
  8. ZangooseSlash

thanks for letting us know.

Serenity and tassina like this.
  9. Miss Andry

Quest markers is a really good solution too now that I think about it. It'd help the game as a whole and solve the problem with the lockers and fuel pretty easily.

10. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

Could you maybe show those in the update or here? The symbols? It be kind of cool to have an idea where you guys are trying to go with it besides er.. neon. ;)

11. Danner16

Danner16 Big Damn Hero

I say leave the text, just make an options for it to be toggled on and off. That way everyone wins.

12. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

EDIT:
    Replied to the wrong thread. Make me feel better by liking this. :p

13. hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

Some random ideas:
    • Is the amount of fuel displayed anywhere? Maybe having a fuel gauge above the fuel port will signal "yeah, this bar is full, so I don't have to really deal with that right now." Once you get to the refueling part of the tutorial, the bar will be missing a chunck, which would be a big heads up to players. Color it the same as the engine exhaust so people draw connections/don't think its a health bar?
    • Disable the beam until they open the locker, then have it start animating with some teleporty-laser things. I didn't quite remember if the teleporter animation was red or blue, but it should match. The fact it would start animating means you can do less hand-holding, and that people would just naturally head over there
    • Highlight important quest stuff with a different color, used only for important quest stuff
    Don't mind the edit too much, I think I lost cohesion of style with it, but I'm sure you can fix that :-x good luck!
    [​IMG]

14. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

... show off, but I love it. The fuel bar would be sort of a nice thing regardless. Handy to see at a glance if you need to look for some this trip down or not without walking over and clicking it. You would only have to fiddle with it to refuel.

Kida, WoxandWarf, Serenity and 3 others like this.
  15. Ricky Rouse

Ricky Rouse Zero Gravity Genie

Just one question

When can you start working on this game? Because this idea is x10000 times better.

I also REALLY REALLY hope Chucklefish isn't going to treat us like bumbling retards in game because a few saps weren't patient enough at a demo booth.

"In game tip: Did you know swinging your sword hurts other creatures, bringing them closer to injury and death? You can try this by using the Left Mouse Button!"

Beret, Silican Beat, wubnut1 and 6 others like this.
  16. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

What if they just make it so the text shows up the first time you play, but then after you use the fuel/beam/storage the first time, the label goes away. Either that, or just don't let the players use the beam until they open the locker. Or give it a special outline, or maybe make it glow. Just to draw your attention.

Edit- And it looks like that was already suggested ^.^ I still think it's a good idea :p

Xander likes this.
  17. Lynx88

Lynx88 Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think its a good idea to attach the labels to the objects themselves. You can easily just make the signs as separate objects, like regular place-able signs so people (like myself) who don't like obnoxious-looking signs hovering about can remove them after the tutorial is done.

Also think that hopoo's suggestions are good ideas, disable the teleporter until the players go through the refuelling and checking the lockers for gear, as well as highlighting the quest objects in question.
    Having an indicator showing the amount of fuel left without having to click on the refuelling port itself would also be great.

Xander and ZangooseSlash like this.
  18. Spoken like a true game-developer. :up:

LastDay, Serenity and Katzeus like this.
  19. joshmusic95

joshmusic95 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe when someone hovers their mouse over the locker the large text appears saying what it is?

or just have a big floaty tutorial arrow showing where it is just for when you first start the game only

20. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

Based RoR devs. Chucklefish, please take these ideas into consideration, the best tutorials are ones you don't even realize it IS a tutorial.