Planets/Star systems at war

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Speno1, May 15, 2012.

1. Speno1

Speno1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi guys, I was wondering what ideas the community has about having wars between creatures either in or between planets.
    I think this would open up for some interesting gameplay: with bases, defence systems, war machines, (you could build some of these, and other ai could make some too.) and you might even get to choose a side! You have to take over bases, turrets, forts space stations etc. (credit to liquified)! You can have certain strategic points that will make the battle more diverse. instead of just spawning aliens, have them coming from certain places and u can "hold out" and fight them in waves (credit to lolipop knight). You could use defence systems, produce war craft, and stop the land invasion! There could be really complex ai and game mechanics involved too, because aliens don't just teleport to the ground and run at you and attack you, and they might not attack you specifically at all due to your 'reputation'.

Well you could trigger it or two groups of enemies could just start fighting. You could join a side in a war, and your side would give you quests (think skyrim), like to raid enemy camps, until eventually there would be one big ending battle that would involve lots of quests inside it, e.g. knock out turrets, take over castle etc. You could even betray your own side, but some battles you would create yourself by attacking the enemy. There could be lots of complex mechanics including naval, air, land and space attacks, often more than one at once. There could be outposts, AS turrets (anti-space turrets, think star wars) AA guns, etc. The dev's could make this really complex and add hours of gameplay if they implement this, remember though, you can be part of many wars at once, and some would even be between planets, or even star systems! Not just on one planet! ALlies would help you in battle too. Maybe even mini-bosses.
    It could even have many participating races, and up to 4 sides!

Also if people don't like this, there would be an option to turn 'diplomatic affairs' on, off or mild.

EDIT: There would be an option to have the worlds continue fighting while you're away.
    You could even appoint an NPC to be leader while you're away to look after the army. Careful they don't betray you though. Wouldn't it be awesome if your most trusted soldior is actually against you, and then they discuss their plans to another player, and that player could report the traitor or join him!

2. Puff

Puff Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This would Be so epic! Many factions,species fightinmg amongst each other. Perhaps the abbilitie to resolve engagments through negociations and comabat. Or be able to forge alliances through the different factions.

3. Speno1

Yeah it would open tons of gameplay

beta2000 likes this.
  4. Omegatron

Omegatron Aquatic Astronaut

A very interesting idea! Maybe you could even raid the bases for blueprints.

Puff and Speno1 like this.
  5. Serp

Serp Zeromus

Don't get too hasty with the whole war space blasting planet glassing worm shooting body looting

6. Speno1

No, I'm just saying it would add a lot more to the game.
    Don't get to hasty with being negative.

beta2000 likes this.
  7. Serp

Serp Zeromus

I was joking! not being negative just trying to say don't let your imagination run too far

8. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

Would just the NPCs be fighting or would you trigger the fight and have to be in it at all times or it just doesn't happen? You need to describe this a little bit more than saying "planets fight eachother"

9. Omegatron

I think it would be like Spore, when a planet sends a distress call. It's happening whether or not you help, but if you intervene, you can determine the outcome.

Speno1 likes this.
  10. Speno1

Well you could trigger it or two groups of enemies could just start fighting. You could join a side in a war, and your side would give you quests (think skyrim), like to raid enemy camps, until eventually there would be one big ending battle that would involve lots of quests inside it, e.g. knock out turrets, take over castle etc. You could even betray your own side, but some battles you would create yourself by attacking the enemy. There could be lots of complex mechanics including naval, air, land and space attacks, often more than one at once. There could be outposts, AS turrets (anti-space turrets, think star wars) AA guns, etc. The dev's could make this really complex and add hours of gameplay if they implement this, remember though, you can be part of many wars at once, and some would even be between planets, or even star systems! Not just on one planet! ALlies would help you in battle too.

beta2000 likes this.
  11. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

There are way too many ideas referencing spore or other games I haven't played [​IMG] So, you're saying that it just goes on and the background and one planet (no matter what) gets destroyed or they come to some sort of compromise and don't. I think it would be strange to do this because it would lag your game in the background.

12. Speno1

Why not? It's Starbound.

beta2000 likes this.
  13. Speno1

This is kind of what I mean, but I don't think it should be totally like spore, you don't want one spaceship taking on the galaxy :rofl:

beta2000 likes this.
  14. Serp

Serp Zeromus

Yea but that doesn't mean everything is possible

15. Speno1

Programmers can make anything possible, if they try hard enough.

beta2000 likes this.
  16. Serp

Serp Zeromus

Not everything

17. EgXPlayer

EgXPlayer Void-Bound Voyager

Damn.. A solar system war..some allied factions against other factions...that would be damn epic

Speno1 likes this.
  18. Liquidified

Liquidified Big Damn Hero

Thats such a cool idea you could take a side and fight off other races and take over bases, forts, turrets, space stations and etc! Keep up the good work!

Speno1 likes this.
  19. Omegatron

Programmers are the real-life mages.

Also, I wouldn't want it to be exactly like Spore, it's just the best example I could think of. I figured the basic idea was that factions could fight each other, and you could choose to get involved or completely ignore it.

Speno1 likes this.
  20. Speno1

Yeah I agree.

beta2000 likes this.