1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Was the Starbound in Pre-Alpha comment for real?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bacon, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dominuskaiser

Dominuskaiser Subatomic Cosmonaut

I know pre-alpha should be planning and no way that i49 demo was pre-alpha yet it seems the devs. have a different opinion on wich stage the game is,for me its a pre-beta and the game should be on beta soon,if they get stingy about when the game should be out,there will be flames all around the forum before a release. :laugh:

2. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

They're at bloody i49, and are likely completely unaware of the brain implosion on the forum.

Once again, the game is clearly not in pre-alpha. But fine, go ahead and interpret Bart's body language, and read tea leaves as well, for all I care. I maintain his comment was either a joke or a slip of the tongue, and should be ignored. The sky is not, repeat not, falling.

Edit: To the poster above, again, I don't care what people think was said by whom. This is all a misunderstanding and will be shown to be so in time.

WILF2007 likes this.
  3. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

Is pre-alpha even a real thing?

Plooters likes this.
  4. Coulmbai

Coulmbai Industrial Terraformer

Guys before yogscast or whatever played it molly said it was the pre beta build.
    Bart prolly just had a slip of the tongue or something silly like that.

5. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I think they have a flawed definition of Alpha and Beta....

Full Alpha is all concepts in place and the game boots and runs.

Full Beta is all the components in place and working.

Release is most bugs smashed and liberal amounts of polish/balancing applied

They are in pre-beta, by their own roadmap definition. :cautious:

6. In this case game is missing a lot of content still, and since they want to have as said a pretty complete Beta, the big majority of the things must be there, what means at least 90% of completion far some estimate from Tiy about the roadmap "not everything as to be 100% for beta be launched" (not including story stuff).
    As it likely to be a misunderstand, no effort at all to explain it, actually the duzens of questions about the pre-beta stuff were ignored in the stream and molly gave one "dry" reply "i said pre-beta, he said pre-alpha" that got us in the same. Maybe it means since every dev may have their area / to-do list, that the stuff bartwe must work on is still in a very early stage.

What makes this odd is the silence when people asked about this. :rolleyes:

7. Dtho_47

Dtho_47 Star Wrangler

I thought the game is randomly generated.
    All levels 1-10 - are randomly generated.
    All recipes, items, monsters on each planet - are created randomly.
    This is not the case now?

Level 1-10 will have all the same, except for the monsters and a biome?

8. We would saw this discussion of tiers recently, but it's something about difficulty, when you start at level 1, with planets with no dungeons, basic monsters, easy, etc... So i guess as we can access more tiers, we can have more content, new kinds of stuff... It is early to say but they tomorrow will make a stream to talk about progression and show us what's the idea with this tiers. :alien:

9. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

The game is clearly pre-beta, not alpha.
    It's in a (very) playable state, despite the bugs.

10. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

At this stage even if I were confined to one planet and the first tier like the Yogcast were, I would be completely fine with that.

DJOkamical likes this.
  11. Fierceflame

Fierceflame Phantasmal Quasar

[​IMG]

Just wondering if it always said alpha beta in the streams.
    Haven't really watched them because it might spoil some features

Cabb, Aviakio and Bacon like this.
  12. Dtho_47

Dtho_47 Star Wrangler

The developers wrote some time ago that they did a lot of recipes, items, armor, clothing, and the like. A lot of random objects, accidental weapons, etc.
    Where is it all about?
    Jabberwocky?

13. Most of us would, but... They want to give us the most complete experience in beta, with the majority of the game done and ready, so that's why we wait... and wait... and wait.. :p

Plooters likes this.
  14. DJOkamical

DJOkamical Space Kumquat

The planets are rather large, too. When the devs were describing planet size, they said it could take 30 mins, or all the way up to atleast 2 hours before the planet "loops".

One planet would have plenty of content to keep eager fans busy :p.

15. Dtho_47

Dtho_47 Star Wrangler

...Gamma
    Х3:terran Conflict? ;)

T-Bone Biggins and Kittails like this.
  16. Sousuke Kuroda

Which I think is stupid because whats going to end up happening is beta in December with quite a lot of people who don't care anymore. Then full release in February or March. But no ones going to differentiate between the beta and the full release, the full release will most likely feel like a patch adding Novakids and Fossils. In short, nobody is going to treat the beta like a beta, and probably be a lot more harsh when it comes to bugs and such. Because they'll feel like it should be the full game due to how "complete" it is.

T-Bone Biggins and Plooters like this.
  17. This is their choice not ours, as a increasing number of studios do, Betas today are some sort of Early Access, they are also to catch bugs, etc... But the main point is release them stable and complete as possible.

Another big reason for that is, if a beta do have mad issues like crash every 10 minutes or bugs causing unplayable experiences, people will rage and downrate this game to hell because most these days, don't get what a beta is and take it as a full game already. That's one big reason they avoid any early stuff these days.

18. Sousuke Kuroda

So what? Thats not going to stop me from letting them know how much I disagree with them. Even if it doesn't change anything.

That is going to happen regardless, and they certainly aren't going to soften the blow if they tell everyone the beta is going to be essentially perfect.

19. What is randomly generated:
    Monsters, yes.
    Weapons, yes.
    Recipes... Depends on what you mean.
    Bosses, not right now.
    biomes, yes.
    Dungeons, yes.
    Armor, possibly?

20. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wish I could be this lenient, but I was specifically told during my purchase that I was to receive a product in 2013.
    Promises often fall flat and deadlines broken, but it ceases to be acceptable when money is involved.

If a 2013 release turns out to be impossible so be it, but I'll be immensely disappointed.

Meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting.

T-Bone Biggins likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.