1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Weekly Pixel-Off

Discussion in 'Art' started by pigrocket, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tectal

Tectal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome! I've spent most of my days since Sunday trying to create a great dinosaur. You make me want to give up! :giggle: But I won't. Atmosphere is great.

2. ...

HOW'D YOU KNOW I LOVE ARCHEOPS? YOU WIN, HANDS DOWN. Haha, no but seriously. Keep those entries coming people!

3. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

251 colors in there

4. hanuta

hanuta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's good, never give up! I believe in you!! You can dooo iiiiit!!! Also, thank you so much! :love:

Ohoho, you flatter me Dragonith. just you wait, i might beat you someday! WHO DOES NOT LOVE ARCHEOPS??! We will find them. beat them with sticks. Their ability though... Makes me feel bad for them... poor little defeatists.
    Yeah you guys! Keep sending them in! I look forward to seeing all your dinosaurs! :D

5. hanuta

hanuta Scruffy Nerf-Herder

oh, really? hmmm...
    Is that a bad thing? I never really understood the color count thing! Is it better the less colors there is? I've been trying to use more rigid color palettes but I kinda gave up half way through this one.

6. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

I tried making a simple dinosaur skull, did not end well..

7. A big palette doesn't directly contribute to this, but your entry is more like really impressive digital art rather than pixel art.

8. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

I disagree, I think this is pixel art, similar to muxaun. Just really good pixel art.

pigrocket likes this.
  9. Despite the large palette, it does retain its pixelated appearance enough for me to count it as pixel art.

10. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Yeah I agree. Most of the colors are focused around on the dino and person, and the outlying trees and ground look like more simple pixel art. I think everything in the picture is just so smooth that it looks like nice digital art :p

11. Not sure what you meant by "similar to maxaun", but if you meant the style is similar, then that's not completely true.
    Maxaun makes extremely complex drawings with many pixels, but he doesn't use that many colours.

For example, I believe this image has 31 colours:
    [​IMG]

pigrocket and Seajun_ like this.
  12. B|eak

B|eak Void-Bound Voyager

nah, I just meant really good pixel art :)

Here is a barrel, he's a dinosaur on the inside < 3
    BARREL.png

Evangelion likes this.
  13. muxaun

Oh guys I didn't mean his (or her) drawing is NPA. I just wanted to point that the picture could make use of a little bit of palette cleaning.

pigrocket, AstroBlast and Seajun_ like this.
  14. Tectal

ENTRY:

Here is my entry. I don't believe I'm quite finished, as there are a lot of annoying problems that I can't get my mind around just yet. However, when I reached the point where I felt like crying with frustration, I knew I was done. :laugh:

It is an adapted version of a Stygimoloch.

Dinosaur.gif

Shock, B|eak, Lornami and 11 others like this.
  15. muxaun

There is something wrong with its right arm and foot.

16. Tectal

Oh thanks! I don't see how I couldn't have noticed that before. What especially surprises me if the fact that the arm furthest away is actually bigger than the arm closest to me...

17. Not bad! Though, as muxuan said, there's some issues with its limbs. For me, the left leg looks a tad off.

AstroBlast likes this.
  18. Tectal

Yeah, I can see that there's something off but I'm not entirely sure I won't make a mistake again by changing it. To me, it's how I've angled the back leg as if he's walking forward in a completely different direction than the way he's facing.

By left do you mean your left or the dinosaur's left?

19. Ah, the dinosaur's left.

20. Tectal

I can't stop looking at that angry fish. It's too good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.